A selection of Manchester United fans were left unimpressed with Mason Greenwood’s Premier League display against Aston Villa earlier on Saturday.
The Red Devils had the chance to temporarily go top of the league standings but squandered the opportunity with a disappointing showing against Dean Smith’s side.
They managed 28 shots on goal during the 90 minutes but were not clinical enough.
Just four of their attempts were on target. Villa eventually won with a Kortney Hause header, two minutes from time.
United had an excellent chance to level the scores with a stoppage-time penalty, but Bruno Fernandes slashed his effort well over the bar, much to the astonishment of fans at Old Trafford.
There were several frustrating displays on the day, but Greenwood was the subject of criticism from some fans for his lack of coordination in the final third of the pitch.
The club graduate was deemed ‘greedy’ and ‘selfish’ by some supporters for his tendency to shoot at goal rather than assessing the options around him.
There was one instance in the first half where Fernandes created space for himself in the box, but Greenwood’s had a tame shot rather than squaring a pass for the Portuguese.
Here is how some of the club’s supporters reacted on Twitter.
Greenwood has had a superb beginning to the current campaign with three goals from six Premier League starts for the Red Devils.
The €50 million-rated forward is one of the best finishers at the club, and has shown regularly that he can grab a scoring opportunity by the neck.
However, he had a complete off-game against the Villans, and he will need to learn from the experience moving forward.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Man Utd agree fee with Barcelona for Frenkie de Jong
- Erik ten Hag could hand first-team chance to James Garner
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final