A selection of Manchester United fans sympathised with goalkeeper David de Gea after the club’s 4-2 Premier League defeat to Leicester City on Saturday.
The Red Devils had the chance to end a two-match winless run in the league, but they could not do so after a sub-par performance in midfield and defence.
The Foxes had the upper hand over them at different phases of the game, and there was a particular period in the second half where De Gea singlehandedly kept the scores at 1-1.
He made a terrific diving save towards his right and then came up with two key stops with his leg.
Despite his best efforts, the Foxes went 2-1 ahead in the 78th minute through Caglar Soyuncu.
Marcus Rashford pulled United level in the 82nd minute, but the Foxes took the lead 15 seconds later through Jamie Vardy. Patson Daka completed the scoring for the Foxes in stoppage time.
It was a poor defensive showing from the Red Devils at the King Power Stadium.
The result ended their record 29-match unbeaten Premier League run away from home.
Greenwood, Rashford and De Gea produced the only positive performances on the day.
The latter continued his excellent form in goal with seven saves – three of which were parried away.
Some of the club’s faithful on Twitter sympathised with the €18 million-rated star as he could not prevent the damaging defeat despite a stand-out showing between the sticks.
De Gea received much criticism from fans at the end of last season after failing to save a single penalty in the shoot-out defeat to Villarreal in the Europa League final.
He has returned this season with a firm determination. The Spaniard saved a stoppage-time penalty against West Ham United last month that contributed to the club picking up maximum points.
De Gea has also come up with several stand-out saves in other games. He has certainly answered his critics.
There no longer appear question marks over his selection ahead of Dean Henderson.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Man Utd agree fee with Barcelona for Frenkie de Jong
- Erik ten Hag could hand first-team chance to James Garner
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final