Some Manchester United fans on Twitter have expressed their disappointment after the club confirmed that Raphael Varane will be sidelined for a few weeks with a groin injury.
The Red Devils missed the services of Harry Maguire before the international break with a calf problem, and there has been no update on his recovery process.
The club captain could miss this weekend’s Premier League clash against Leicester City. Varane, who has been his regular centre-back partner this term, is now also in the treatment room.
The news has concerned some of the club’s faithful, particularly with a tough run of fixtures over the next few weeks.
Here are a few reactions on Twitter after the setback for the £63 million-rated star.
United have a difficult run of fixtures after the international break with Leicester City, Atalanta (twice), Liverpool, Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester City to face.
They could be without their first-choice central defensive pairing for some of those matches, which is a massive blow for them in the top-flight and Champions League games.
Victor Lindelof and Eric Bailly have partnered on numerous occasions in the past, but the pair were far from impressive against West Ham United in the Carabao Cup third round.
The Hammers scored just once in the victory at Old Trafford, but they could have quite easily tripled their tally with the chances they created late in the contest.
The central defensive duo will be keen to prove a point as they are no longer assured starters.
They have a stern test of their credentials ahead, having previously come for scrutiny from fans.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Crystal Palace in direct talks with Man Utd for Donny van de Beek
- Roma join AC Milan in race to sign Eric Bailly
- Man Utd agree to loan Anthony Martial to Sevilla
- Man Utd favourites to sign Boubacar Kamara
- AC Milan still interested in Man Utd defender Eric Bailly
- Man Utd keeping tabs on Porto winger Luis Diaz
- Man Utd shortlist four candidates to become their next manager
- Juventus and Sevilla exploring Anthony Martial loan deal
- Anthony Martial plays key role in Man Utd’s late win vs West Ham
- Ralf Rangnick reacts to Marcus Rashford’s dramatic winner against West Ham