Some Manchester United fans on Twitter have expressed their disappointment after the club confirmed that Raphael Varane will be sidelined for a few weeks with a groin injury.
The Red Devils missed the services of Harry Maguire before the international break with a calf problem, and there has been no update on his recovery process.
The club captain could miss this weekend’s Premier League clash against Leicester City. Varane, who has been his regular centre-back partner this term, is now also in the treatment room.
The news has concerned some of the club’s faithful, particularly with a tough run of fixtures over the next few weeks.
Here are a few reactions on Twitter after the setback for the £63 million-rated star.
United have a difficult run of fixtures after the international break with Leicester City, Atalanta (twice), Liverpool, Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester City to face.
They could be without their first-choice central defensive pairing for some of those matches, which is a massive blow for them in the top-flight and Champions League games.
Victor Lindelof and Eric Bailly have partnered on numerous occasions in the past, but the pair were far from impressive against West Ham United in the Carabao Cup third round.
The Hammers scored just once in the victory at Old Trafford, but they could have quite easily tripled their tally with the chances they created late in the contest.
The central defensive duo will be keen to prove a point as they are no longer assured starters.
They have a stern test of their credentials ahead, having previously come for scrutiny from fans.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Hakim Ziyech remains a priority for Man Utd boss Erik ten Hag
- Report: Erik ten Hag makes direct request to Manchester United board to sign ‘scintillating’ Ajax attacker Antony
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- Man Utd to accelerate Wan-Bissaka’s exit to sign Sergino Dest
- Man Utd’s offer for Frenkie de Jong has expired
- Manchester United midfielder Hannibal Mejbri set to join Birmingham City on loan
- Loan Watch: Henderson impresses, Fernandez injured as United struggle to shift out players
- Manchester United confident of signing Frenkie de Jong, £55m up front needed
- Manchester United have just been told to pay £30 million for Alvaro Morata
- Manchester United pondering Jamie Vardy swoop