England registered a memorable 2-0 victory over Germany to advance to the quarter-finals of the Euro 2020 on Tuesday.
Goals from Raheem Sterling and Harry Kane helped Gareth Southgate’s side to dump Germany out but it was Manchester United skipper Harry Maguire who drew applause for another colossal performance.
Maguire, who has been on the sidelines for six weeks due to an ankle injury, made a return against the Czech Republic in the final group game.
Southgate trusted his fitness by naming him in the starting XI against a fluent German side.
The 28-year old repaid the manager’s faith by proving to be a bedrock at the heart of the defence for the Three Lions.
He had an excellent chance to break the deadlock in the 20th minute but his header was off-target.
He was then booked for making a clumsy and unnecessary challenge just after England scored their first goal.
However, apart from those two disappointing moments, Maguire showed why he is England’s best centre-back right now.
He defended superbly throughout the 90 minutes, not allowing Germany’s attackers to enjoy a great deal of space.
He won all six of his aerial duels, four out of the six ground duels, made four clearances and played four final third passes.
Absolute defensive masterclass!
Maguire showed he is not only defensively solid but often made runs into the midfield to move German players out of position.
His beautiful link-up with Luke Shaw at the left side of the defence was eye-catching which will make the Red Devils supporters proud.
He was named UEFA’s star of the match for tonight’s game.
This is how a section of United fans reacted to Harry Maguire’s dominant display against Germany:
- Man Utd working on deal to sign Yann Sommer
- Glazers decide to drop semi-annual dividends after £225m summer spending spree
- Manchester United’s World Cup Quarter-Finalists – Predictions & Betting Tips
- How the playing surface at Old Trafford is created
- PSG president open to signing Marcus Rashford on a free transfer
- De Gea: Manchester United yet to open talks over a new contract
- Man Utd target Goncalo Ramos now valued at €80m by Benfica
- Man Utd have advantage over Real Madrid in pursuit of Cody Gakpo
- Man Utd duo should be sold in January after woeful displays against Cadiz
- ‘I will think about it’: Cody Gakpo opens the door for Man Utd transfer in January