A section of Manchester United fans were delighted with the performance of Cristiano Ronaldo during the club’s 3-0 Premier League win over Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday.
The Red Devils recently went four league matches without a win. They suffered an embarrassing 5-0 loss to arch-rivals Liverpool at Old Trafford last weekend.
It was anticipated that there would be a strong response against Spurs, and that was the case as they secured a comfortable 3-0 win over the north London outfit on the road.
Ronaldo played a huge part in the proceedings. The Portuguese opened the scoring with a stunning volley across the goalkeeper after a brilliant long-range pass from Bruno Fernandes.
He complemented his 39th-minute goal with a superb assist after the hour mark.
The 36-year-old delivered a precise through ball for Edinson Cavani on the counter-attack to double the advantage.
Marcus Rashford came off the bench to make it 3-0 in the 86th minute. The England international has looked in fine shape after his shoulder surgery, bagging his third goal in just his fourth appearance.
Ronaldo recently went four league games without finding the back of the net, but he made amends with a terrific all-round display.
Some of the United faithful on Twitter were elated with his showing.
Ronaldo has made a massive impact since his homecoming this summer. The £40.5 million-rated star has bagged seven goals and one assist from just 11 appearances across all competitions.
Yesterday, he entered the Premier League record books as he became the joint-oldest player after Didier Drogba (36 years and 267 days) to score and assist in the Premier League.
Oddly, Drogba achieved the feat for Chelsea against the same opposition seven years ago.
The match also finished 3-0, with the only difference being a home game for the Blues.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Tactical Analysis: What Ralf Rangnick’s Manchester United could look like
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Man Utd vs Arsenal
- Man Utd fans praise Fred’s midfield performance in Chelsea draw
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Chelsea vs Man Utd
- Man Utd could be without seven players for Chelsea clash
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Chelsea
- ‘Carrick’s at the wheel’: Jamie Carragher aims dig at Rio Ferdinand after Man Utd beat Villarreal
- Man Utd fans hail David de Gea’s performance vs Villarreal
- Michael Carrick delivers verdict on Manchester United’s win over Villarreal
- Man Utd could be without five players for Villarreal clash