A section of Manchester United fans expressed their frustration towards Fred after the 1-1 Premier League draw against Everton.
The Red Devils registered a dramatic 2-1 comeback win over Villarreal in midweek, where they were second best for most of the game.
They had the momentum ahead of the Toffees game earlier today but failed to produce a performance worthy of picking up three points.
Anthony Martial opened the scoring before the break. His curling effort flew past Jordan Pickford following a slight deflection.
United could not double their advantage after the break but instead fell behind in the 65th minute through Andros Townsend.
The goal came from a poorly taken corner from Bruno Fernandes, but Fred is partly to blame for not stopping the counter-attack in his own half.
The Brazilian twice tried to intercept Demarai Gray to no avail. The winger ultimately passed to Abdoulaye Doucoure, who laid the assist.
The Toffees could have quite easily won the game right at the end, but Tom Davies’ reluctance to shoot saved the Red Devils’ blushes.
The midfielder decided to square the ball for Yerry Mina instead to score, but the goal was adjudged offside after a VAR review.
United have now picked up just one point from the last two league games at home. Some of the club’s faithful hit out at Fred after the draw.
Fred had an impressive outing off the bench against Villarreal in midweek.
The 28-year-old provided the cross that contributed to the dramatic 95th-minute winner from Ronaldo.
However, he struggled against the Toffees. He lost possession on 10 occasions during his 70th minutes on the field.
He won just three of his seven ground duels while being dribbled last twice.
There has always been criticism from some fans towards Fred. The criticism for this game is justified.
A tactical foul on Gray could have seized the counter-attack altogether.
United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer recently backed his choice to start Scott McTominay and Fred together, and there will be plenty of critics towards his decision-making after today.
Fred, who is valued at €22 million by Transfermarkt, has stood out with standout performances in the past, but his positional awareness has been questionable in recent times.
He was not the only one responsible for the Toffees goal yesterday. Luke Shaw was caught ball watching in the lead-up to the equaliser, failing to track the run of Townsend behind him.
The Red Devils will need a considerable improvement defensively after the international break if they are to make a serious challenge for the Premier League title this season.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Predicted Man Utd line-up (4-3-1-2) vs Arsenal, Ronaldo and Maguire return
- Tactical Analysis: What Ralf Rangnick’s Manchester United could look like
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Man Utd vs Arsenal
- Man Utd fans praise Fred’s midfield performance in Chelsea draw
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Chelsea vs Man Utd
- Man Utd could be without seven players for Chelsea clash
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Chelsea
- ‘Carrick’s at the wheel’: Jamie Carragher aims dig at Rio Ferdinand after Man Utd beat Villarreal
- Man Utd fans hail David de Gea’s performance vs Villarreal
- Michael Carrick delivers verdict on Manchester United’s win over Villarreal