Manchester United will have to overcome fierce competition from Bayern Munich to capture the signature of Benfica prodigy Goncalo Ramos.
The perennial Bundesliga champions have reportedly earmarked €100 million for a new striker heading into the summer transfer window as they seek a long-term replacement for Robert Lewandowski.
Despite frantically scouring the market for a top-class No 9 following the Pole’s switch to Barcelona last summer, the Bavarians have ended up empty-handed.
However, they will go all-out when the transfer window opens for business, with new boss Thomas Tuchel expected to put his stamp on the squad he’s inherited from Julian Nagelsmann this month.
Among several potential players Bayern could chase is Ramos, who is increasingly likely to depart Benfica at the end of the season after earning a host of high-profile suitors across Europe.
Following his remarkable scoring exploits at the 2022 World Cup with Portugal last December, the 21-year-old has become one of Europe’s most in-demand youngsters.
His outrageous tally of 25 goals and 11 assists in 38 competitive appearances for Benfica in 2022/23 has only consolidated the club’s bargaining position ahead of a prospective bidding war.
Man United reportedly had scouts watching Ramos live during the Eagles’ 2-1 home defeat to arch-rivals Porto last weekend as Erik ten Hag hopes to sign a top-class goal-getter in the summer.
After United’s experiment with Burnley loanee Wout Weghorst went pear-shaped, the Red Devils are on the lookout for a more sustainable option to lead the line next term.
Negotiations with the runaway Primeira Liga leaders are never easy, given their well-documented ability to sell their prized assets for premium prices.
If that alone wasn’t enough to make Man United sweat, the inclusion of Bayern in the race to sign Ramos should do the trick, especially if they choose to pursue the Portuguese starlet as their top target.
Ten Hag has already devised a contingency plan in the shape of Feyenoord frontman Santiago Gimenez, who has a relatively affordable €20 million release clause in his contract.
- ‘A complete and very intelligent player’: Man Utd target backed to shine in the Premier League
- Hannibal Mejbri could become a regular starter under Erik ten Hag after ‘excellent’ display
- Jonny Evans delivers fantastic performance in 200th appearance for Man Utd
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Burnley, Mejbri starts
- ‘Very happy with him’: Erik ten Hag praises Sergio Reguilon ahead of Burnley clash
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount is an option on the right wing vs Burnley
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Burnley, Varane returns in three changes
- Erik ten Hag on Jadon Sancho’s Man Utd future
- Romero says Man Utd star thought he was God on earth, was like that 24 hours a day
- Erik ten Hag hints four Man Utd stars could return vs Burnley