Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has identified RB Leipzig striker Lois Openda as a January transfer target in his bid to land attacking reinforcements, according to the Daily Mirror.
The Belgium international has hit the ground running in the Bundesliga after moving from RC Lens in the summer, with 14 goals to his name in 20 games this term.
Openda bagged 21 goals in 42 appearances last season and is currently valued at £75 million by Leipzig.
Man United have struggled in front of goal this term, with their attackers not firing on all cylinders, and Ten Hag is desperate for solutions.
The Dutchman had a senior scout running the rule on Leipzig’s defender Castello Lukeb against Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium last month, but he also got a detailed report on Openda after he bagged a brace in their 3-2 loss.
He also scored the only goal in the 3-1 defeat in the Champions League first leg in October, with his speed and power proving too much for City’s defence.
Man United have now made him a serious target ahead of next month as Ten Hag looks to make something out of their underwhelming campaign.
Both Anthony Martial and Jadon Sancho are expected to be moved on over the next two transfer windows, while Antony could also be sold.
Openda is still 23 and has the potential one of the most prolific goalscorers in Europe going forward given his excellent finishing abilities, and the Red Devils could do with such a quality hitman.
However, whether Leipzig will be keen to sell their star striker midway through the season remains to be seen given his huge importance to the team.
A summer deal could be more feasible for Man United, but they are not the only club keeping tabs on him, and they need to qualify for the Champions League to have any chance of luring the Belgian to Old Trafford.
- Gleison Bremer shows why Man Utd want to sign him this summer
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow