Manchester United’s out-of-favour midfielder Jesse Lingard’s time is not yet over at Old Trafford. Ahead of the opening of the January transfer window, it looked like Lingard will be on his way out of the club. Recent reports from Sky Sports had suggested that United were weighing in options to loan the midfielder in January, with Real Sociedad being one of the clubs interested.
But according to a latest report from Sky Sports, the move for Lingard has not materialised and now Manchester United have triggered the option to extend Lingard’s contract by one year.
Lingard has only made two appearances for the club this season in the Carabao Cup fixtures against Brighton and Luton Town. The 28-year-old England footballer has not played a single Premier League or Champions League game this season, despite being included in the squad for both competitions.
Speaking to reporters in November ahead of their Champions League game at Old Trafford against Istanbul Basaksehir, Solksjaer had said that Lingard had to self isolate more than once this season, having come in close contact with people suffering from Covid 19.
“He’s been working hard in training,” the United boss had said. “He’s been unfortunate with having to isolate a few times, been in contact, or close contact with Covid, not even having it himself.
“He’s been very unlucky being away from the training ground a few times. He works really hard,” he had added.
While Lingard’s future remains in doubt at Old Trafford, if United make a deal to sell Paul Pobga in January, it may open a few doors for the English midfielder to get a few games.
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin