Manchester United are reportedly exploring the possibility of a late deal to sign Barcelona right-back Sergino Dest before deadline day.
That’s according to a report from Sky Sports reporter Dharmesh Sheth who claims that United boss Erik ten Hag is eyeing up a last-gasp move to sign the 21-year-old Barca star.
It is suggested that Ten Hag is a big fan of the United States international from their time together at Ajax.
United’s interest in Dest stems from Aaron Wan-Bissaka being linked with a move away from Old Trafford.
And if Wan-Bissake does leave this summer, Ten Hag seemingly has the ideal replacement in mind.
Manchester United eyeing late Sergino Dest swoop
Sheth reckons that United could try to sign the Barcelona defender late in the transfer window:
The Barcelona right-back is a superbly talented young player and possesses all of the attributes needed to reach the very top.
He possesses pace in abundance and loves getting forward at every opportunity. He can play further forward as a winger as well if need be.
Dest has been praised by United States boss Gregg Berhalter told who Goal in October:
“Sergino is an interesting player because it’s almost like the sky’s the limit for him. He can be as good as he wants to be and his attacking play, it’s unreal. It’s just really pushing himself to be the best when he’s on the field. He just needs to gain experience. He’s doing a great job. He just needs to keep working.”
Barca Universal reckon that Dest will cost around €25 million (£21.5 m) this summer.
In 21 La Liga appearances for Barcelona last season, Dest bagged three assists and bagged 1.3 tackles, 0.8 clearances and 1.8 dribbles per game.
Dest is clearly an exciting young talent, albeit far from the finished article. With good coaching, the American will undoubtedly go on to become a big star.
Signing Dest would be a smart move from United this summer, especially for just £21m.
Stats via Who Scored.
- Omonia Nicosia 2-3 Manchester United: Three talking points as Marcus Rashford continues his stellar form
- Erik ten Hag reveals his plans for Anthony Martial after injury comeback
- Three Man Utd stars with a big point to prove against Omonia
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Omonia, Ronaldo and Martial start
- Manchester United’s Five Greatest European Performances
- Man Utd include Iqbal and Garnacho in 22-man squad for Omonia clash
- Four Man Utd stars miss training ahead of Omonia Nicosia clash
- Man Utd should sign Goncalo Ramos as Cristiano Ronaldo’s replacement in January
- Europa League Preview: Omonia Nicosia vs Manchester United
- Saudi PIF were offered 30% stake in Man Utd before Newcastle takeover – The Athletic