Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has expressed his frustration with the club’s laid-back approach during the Cody Gakpo transfer saga.
The Red Devils were linked with Gakpo for the past six months, but Liverpool have left them behind in the race to bag his signature.
The 23-year-old is poised to join the Merseyside club, leaving Ten Hag annoyed.
ESPN reports that the manager has made it clear to the club’s hierarchy that he is frustrated with their failure to sign the Dutch international.
The same report further claims that United are eyeing a January swoop for former Chelsea striker Alvaro Morata.
Erik ten Hag needs a striker but Alvaro Morata is no solution
After spending more than £200 million in the summer transfer window, United are left with little funds for the upcoming window.
Gakpo was a rare high-quality forward available in January for a permanent move.
With Liverpool hijacking United’s attempt to sign him, the Red Devils are now forced to dive into the loan market.
Cristiano Ronaldo’s untimely exit has left Ten Hag short of centre-forward options.
Morata is being touted as one of the options to replace Ronaldo, but this transfer move would be a huge mistake for United.
He played 72 games for Chelsea, scoring just 24 goals and missing a host of chances. He was eventually sold to Atletico Madrid.
Morata would be a poor alternative to Gakpo and demonstrate that United have been left trailing by Liverpool’s recruitment policy.
His teammate Joao Felix has also been linked with a loan move to Old Trafford but the Spanish club want United to pay a loan fee and cover the player’s full wages.
This will take the total cost to €22m for six months, a sum the Premier League giants are reluctant to pay.
- Louis Saha backs Man Utd to sign Harry Kane and win the Premier League
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest
- Could Kobbie Mainoo make his league debut for Manchester United in the absence of star midfielders?
- Man Utd’s transfer priority is clear after fresh Anthony Martial injury blow
- Man Utd handed early Europa League boost with two key Barcelona stars injured
- Erik ten Hag has easy midfield decision vs Leeds United with four players out