Manchester United are set to drop their interest in Mason Mount and turn their attention to Brighton & Hove Albion’s star Moises Caicedo.
The Times report that United are focusing on other midfield targets, with Caicedo top of their list.
This decision arrives after Chelsea rejected United’s third offer for Mount, worth £50 million plus £5m in add-ons.
The Blues have countered the proposal with £58m plus £7m in bonuses, but United are reportedly unhappy due to the prolonged negotiations.
Caicedo is heavily linked with a big-money move this summer after enjoying a spectacular season with Brighton.
Moises Caicedo adds more value than Mason Mount
The Red Devils should not match Chelsea’s unrealistic demands.
A transfer move for Caicedo will likely burst the bank a little more than it would have with Mount.
However, it is a transfer move that makes tactical and financial sense.
Chelsea are refusing to budge from their sky-high valuation of £65m for a player with just one year left in his contract.
United might have to splash out at least £80m for Caicedo, who is regarded as one of the best young midfielders in the English top flight.
The fee will be higher, but he brings more value to United than Mount.
Caicedo would be a robust back-up to Casemiro in the number six spot. This is not a role that the England international can perform.
He could also slot along the Brazilian in the number eight role in big matches if Ten Hag eyes more solidity in the midfield.
Ironically, Caicedo is a top target for Chelsea, but United should beat them in this transfer battle.
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action