Premier League newcomers Luton Town are close to securing a move for Manchester United youngster Teden Mengi, according to the Express.
The 21-year-old came up through the youth ranks at Man United but has only managed two appearances for the senior team despite putting in several impressive shifts for the youth side.
Mengi’s first spell away from the Theatre of Dreams saw him spend the 2021/22 campaign on a season-long loan at Derby County.
He only managed nine appearances for the Rams in a troubled spell at Pride Park Stadium before returning to Man United at the business end of the season.
Mengi was shipped out to Birmingham City on a short-term loan deal in the 2022 January transfer window and managed ten appearances in the second half of the season at St Andrew’s.
Mengi set to join the exodus of youngsters out of Old Trafford
Having tasted senior football on two loan stints, Mengi is close to sealing an exit from Old Trafford, with the prospect of first-team football not guaranteed in Erik ten Hag’s side.
Town are optimistic about sealing a permanent deal for the young centre-back who has represented the English national team at youth level.
Mengi is set to become the latest youngster to earn a permanent exit from Man United this summer and will follow the likes of Noah Emeran and Brandon Williams through the exit door.
Emeran secured a move to Eredivisie side Groningen, with Man United pocketing €1 million from his exit, although the Red Devils also included a substantial sell-on clause in the deal.
Williams has secured a temporary switch to Ipswich Town, while Charlie Savage, Ethan Laird and Zidane Iqbal have also departed the club.
The recent exodus of youngsters may indicate that United’s once-famed youth system is not producing the same quality of players as previously.
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin