Manchester United defender Luke Shaw has suffered a muscular injury, according to The Athletic.
The Red Devils are assessing the 28-year-old and are hoping he only misses weeks and not months of action.
Shaw featured in the Premier League games against Wolverhampton Wanderers and Tottenham Hotspur, playing every minute of both games, and it appears he sustained the injury in training.
England face Ukraine in their European Championship 2024 qualifying game on September 9 and are expected to be without the Man United star.
Shaw will also miss the Premier League games against Nottingham Forest and Arsenal, and Red Devils manager Erik ten Hag will have to settle for Diogo Dalot in the position, with Tyrell Malacia currently sidelined.
The Netherlands international missed all pre-season and is not yet back in training.
Shaw featured in 31 Premier League games last term and played a key role to help Man United finish third and subsequently qualify for the Champions League.
He was also crucial as they won the League Cup, displaying his versatility by playing as a centre-back in a couple of games.
Man United have enough squad depth at the back, but being without a player like Shaw is a huge blow, and they will hope to have him back in action as soon as possible.
They return to action after the international break with a league game against Brighton and Hove Albion on September 16, and it remains to be seen whether the former Southampton star would be fit by then.
Injuries are the last thing the Red Devils need right now following an underwhelming start to 2023-24.
Mason Mount is out of action until after the international break due to an injury he picked up in the closing stages of the Spurs game, while summer signing Rasmus Hojlund is yet to make his debut since joining from Atalanta due to an injury he sustained in pre-season at his old club.
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns