Reported Manchester United transfer target Evan Ferguson is on the verge of putting pen to paper on a new contract with Brighton & Hove Albion, according to The Telegraph.
Since the departure of Leandro Trossard in January, Ferguson has burst onto the scene with eight goals scored and is attracting plenty of interest from around Europe.
However, the Irishman has now opted to extend his stay with Brighton despite still having three years left on his current deal.
This comes as an immediate blow to United as they were one of several heavyweights to be linked with a move, although they could revisit a future swoop for the 18-year-old.
Ferguson missed Brighton’s FA Cup semi-final penalty-shootout defeat on Sunday but will be targeting a return to action before his side welcome United to the Amex Stadium early next month.
With Ferguson now seemingly out of contention, United’s shopping list for a new centre-forward next summer continues to take shape with Tottenham Hotspur’s Harry Kane thought to be the prime target.
The Red Devils have already commenced initial moves towards making a move for Kane as the 29-year-old reportedly leans towards remaining in the top tier of English football.
Tottenham are expected to demand around £100 million for their captain, who is approaching the final year of his contract in north London.
Securing a place in next season’s Champions League will be crucial in United’s pursuit of Kane and the Red Devils will be keen to take one step closer towards qualifying for Europe’s premier club competition when they face off against fifth-place Tottenham on Thursday.
Sitting six points clear of their next opponents having played two games fewer, United could effectively end Spurs’ Champions League charge while also putting themselves in a good position to land Kane.
- Man Utd in pole position in Kim Min-jae race but PSG could explore deal for him
- ‘Above all’: Man Utd leading race to sign Rasmus Hojlund, need to make ‘big offer’
- Man Utd provide ‘strong competition’ in race to sign AZ Alkmaar forward Jesper Karlsson
- Man Utd boss ten Hag deems Victor Lindelof ‘untouchable’
- PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi playing significant role in Manchester United takeover bid
- Stats show why Kim Min-jae is the perfect signing for Man Utd over Axel Disasi
- Sheikh Jassim will not end interest in Manchester United if Friday deadline passes
- Manchester United finalising proposal to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd linked with Juventus star Federico Chiesa who could be sold for €30-35m
- Manchester United consider loaning out Mason Greenwood next season