Manchester United reportedly could make a move to sign Chelsea target Kyle Walker-Peters from Southampton this summer.
That’s according to football journalist Jonathan Shrager who claims that United are eyeing the 25-year-old who is also wanted by Chelsea this summer. It is suggested that Erik ten Hag is targeting the Saints star alongside Josip Juranovic and Max Aarons.
Chelsea want to bring the 25-year-old full-back to Stamford Bridge this summer (Sky Sports). Thomas Tuchel is desperate to bolster his right-back ranks with his penchant for playing Reece James in the middle as part of a back three.
So it could be a real battle between two of England’s top sides for the ex-Tottenham Hotspur defender this summer. And whoever wins the race for his services will undoubtedly deal a real blow to the other club.
Manchester United and Chelsea in for Kyle Walker-Peters
Jonathan Shrager suggests that Ten Hag could try to bring the Southampton star to Old Trafford to replace Aaron Wan-Bissaka this summer. And if he does, we believe that it would be a coup for United and a blow for Chelsea.
Walker-Peters is a proper player and he encompasses everything that it means to be a modern-day full-back. He is absolutely rapid, possesses impressive energy and stamina and is very strong.
He joined the Saints from Spurs in the summer of 2020 for around £12 million (The Daily Mail). That fee already looks like a real bargain and it’s no surprise that the south coast club want around £30 million if they were to sell him now (Daily Mail).
In 32 games for Southampton last season, the London-born ace bagged one goal and two assists. During those outings, the full-back averaged 1.8 tackles, 1.2 interceptions and 1.3 clearances per game. He made 34 passes on average per match and recorded an impressive completion rate of 81.3%.
He got off the mark for the Saints this season with a goal yesterday against Leeds United at St Mary’s.
Walker-Peters is a right-back by trade but he can also operate at left-back if need be. That kind of versatility in a player is priceless in the modern game.
It’s no surprise to us that United and Chelsea would want to sign Walker-Peters from Southampton this summer. He’s a top-class player and, at 25, he will only get better and better for the next four years or so.
And we believe that if United manage to beat the Blues to the Southampton ace’s signature, it would be a real blow to the West London outfit.
Stats Who Scored.
- Pogba admits he fell short of expectations at Manchester United
- Rashford and Martial doubtful for Manchester derby after missing training
- Roberto Carlos names two current Man United players he would like to play with
- Three Manchester United winners from the international break
- ‘He makes my game easier’ – Bruno Fernandes full of praise for Eriksen
- Diogo Dalot hoping for a new Man United contract with Europe’s elite clubs eyeing up transfer
- Manchester United midfielder gives verdict on Ronaldo’s performance after Portugal’s 1-0 defeat
- Ben Foster advises Jude Bellingham to join Manchester United
- Manchester United: Shaw and Ferdinand back Maguire after England horror show
- Cody Gakpo’s form could reignite interest from Manchester United in January