Manchester United reportedly face missing out on the signing of Benjamin Pavard to Inter Milan in the summer transfer window.
According to Tuttosport, Inter are now in a strong position to beat Man United to the signing of the 27-year-old Bayern Munich defender.
The French World Cup winner is keen to play as a centre-back, having played at right-back for the majority of his career.
And Erik ten Hag needs more quality competition and cover for Raphael Varane, particularly given his previous issues with injuries.
Pavard would be the perfect option for the United manager. However, it seems as though he may have his work cut out if he is to bring the Bayern ace to Old Trafford.
Manchester United in danger of missing out on Benjamin Pavard
Inter are reportedly ready to go all out to sign the France international in the summer transfer window.
Missing out on Pavard would be a real shame for Man United – he would be a superb back-up for Varane.
His outstanding quality and experience of playing at the very highest level for such a sustained period of time would significantly boost United’s defensive options.
BILD claim that Bayern could demand as much as €45-50 million for the defender, which does make him and expensive proposition.
Bavarian Football have described Pavard as an ‘elite defender’, and on his day he is certainly one of the very best in world football.
While Man United should not be paying €50m for Pavard, it will still hurt if he joins Inter this summer – especially if he moves to the Italian side for a reduced fee.
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns