Manchester United are reportedly one of five Premier League clubs, who are in the running to sign Dayot Upamecano from RB Leipzig during the next transfer window.
Upamecano has less than 15 months remaining on his current contract at Leipzig and so far, he has shown no intention of extending his stay with the Bundesliga outfit.
As a result, he has caught the eye of a number of Premier League sides including Manchester United, who are said to view him as a cheaper alternative to Napoli’s Kalidou Koulibaly, France Football claims.
The same outlet reports that Upamecano has a release clause worth £53m (€60m) but Leipzig are prepared to listen to offers of around £35m (€40m) for the Frenchman due to his contract situation.
Koulibaly re-emerged as a target for United last week and it has been claimed that United could prise him away from Napoli with a bid in the region of £74m.
Obviously, Solskjaer remains a huge admirer of the Senegal international but the prospect of signing Upamecano on the cheap could be hard to turn down.
The centre-back is nearly eight years younger than Koulibaly and he comes into the category of young and developing players which seem to appeal Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
Harry Maguire and Victor Lindelof are currently the regular choices for the central defensive positions and Upamecano’s arrival could directly hamper the latter’s playing time.
Otherwise, Solskjaer could go with three central defenders in the starting XI to satisfy each of them.
There is plenty of competition for Upamecano’s signature at the moment with interest from the likes of Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur, Chelsea and Manchester City.
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns
- Fabrizio Romano: Manchester United preparing to sign a new centre-back in 2024
- Man Utd interested in signing Tottenham midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg in January
- Erik ten Hag confirms double boost for Crystal Palace clash but defensive duo injured
- Manchester United announce Antony’s comeback amid physical assault allegations