Manchester United could have one of the scariest attacks in Europe if Erik ten Hag signs key target Cody Gakpo in January.
According to Italian football journalist Fabrizio Romano, Gakpo is United’s number one transfer target this winter, with Ten Hag keen to bolster his front line at Old Trafford.
And it is claimed by the Express that PSV Eindhoven could demand €80 million (£70 million) for the 23-year-old. That’s a lot of money, but it is how football has gone over the past decade or so.
Gakpo proved at the World Cup in Qatar that he is a truly elite forward player. He is more than ready to make the jump up to the next level.
And if Ten Hag wins the race for his signature, the Red Devils may have one of the most devastating attacking line-ups on the planet.
Manchester United could have one of scariest attacks in Europe
Gakpo arriving at Old Trafford would elevate United to an entirely new level. He can play anywhere along the front line and has the talent that would light up the Premier League. He’s a terrific young talent with a really high ceiling.
The Dutchman has been described as a ‘sensational’ player by the well-renowned Twitter account Dutch Football. He has also been labelled as ‘superb’ by football journalist Josh Bunting. Meanwhile, One Football have called him a ‘world-class winger’.
He bagged a brilliant 21 goals and 14 assists in 47 games in all competitions for PSV last season. He has racked up an impressive 13 goals and 17 assists in 24 games this term.
The Holland international possesses explosive pace and exceptional technique. At 23, he has not even reached his prime and could go on to become a world-class player.
Can you imagine Gakpo lining up alongside Antony, Marcus Rashford, Anthony Elanga, Alejandro Garnacho, Anthony Martial and Jadon Sancho, all supported by Bruno Fernandes?!
It is not an exaggeration to say that United could have one of the scariest attacks in Europe. Ten Hag would have enough players to have two world-class attacking line-ups!
The pace, movement and explosiveness would have opposition defences on the back foot from the very first whistle.
Gakpo would be a key component to that and could be the icing on the cake for United, what with his guile and nouse in and around the 18-yard box.
For £70 million, Gakpo would be a smart long-term investment for Man United.
Stats via Transfermarkt.
- Man Utd need to pay €100m to sign Eintracht Frankfurt striker Randal Kolo Muani
- Where do Manchester United Under 18s stand in the league table after their latest game?
- Loan Watch: Debuts for Bernard and McNeill, Mejbri bags assist
- Man Utd without six players for Leeds clash after triple injury blow
- Louis Saha backs Man Utd to sign Harry Kane and win the Premier League
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest