Manchester United have confirmed that both Luke Shaw and Anthony Martial won’t feature during the weekend’s Premier League encounter against Southampton at St Mary’s.
Shaw picked up a hamstring injury during the first half of the 2-1 league defeat to Crystal Palace last weekend and a report from TalkSPORT has claimed that he could be sidelined for at least four weeks.
On the other hand, Martial suffered a thigh problem during the closing stages of the Eagles clash, but there has been no timescale mentioned regarding his return from the injury setback.
Amidst this, the the club’s official website has now confirmed that the first-team duo won’t participate during the forthcoming league encounter against the Saints on the road.
“Manchester United will be without Luke Shaw and Anthony Martial for the weekend encounter at Southampton in the Premier League,” a statement read on the official website.
Shaw’s absence is likely to witness Ashley Young feature on the left side of the defence, where he was impressive after coming off the bench against Roy Hodgson’s side last weekend.
Meanwhile, Marcus Rashford should take up centre-forward role in the injury absence of Anthony Martial while Mason Greenwood could stand the chance of making his maiden start of the season.
Greenwood, 17, was one of the standout performers for the club during the pre-season campaign but he has managed just 39 minutes of Premier League action in the opening three matches.
Aside from Shaw and Martial, Timothy Fosu-Mensah and Eric Bailly (both long-term) and Diogo Dalot are the other first-team stars, who are currently in the treatment room after picking up injuries.
- Man Utd handed big boost as Juventus lower price tag for Dusan Vlahovic
- Man Utd in pole position in Kim Min-jae race but PSG could explore deal for him
- ‘Above all’: Man Utd leading race to sign Rasmus Hojlund, need to make ‘big offer’
- Man Utd provide ‘strong competition’ in race to sign AZ Alkmaar forward Jesper Karlsson
- Man Utd boss ten Hag deems Victor Lindelof ‘untouchable’
- PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi playing significant role in Manchester United takeover bid
- Stats show why Kim Min-jae is the perfect signing for Man Utd over Axel Disasi
- Sheikh Jassim will not end interest in Manchester United if Friday deadline passes
- Manchester United finalising proposal to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd linked with Juventus star Federico Chiesa who could be sold for €30-35m