Manchester United are now expected to go all out to sign Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong before the transfer window closes.
That’s according to a report from Spanish publication Sport who claim that United believe their offer for the 25-year-old will be ‘irresistible’ to both the player and Barcelona.
United boss Erik ten Hag has been trying to bolster his central midfield ranks at Old Trafford all summer long. It’s clear for everyone to see that signing his former player De Jong is his absolute number one priority.
The Red Devils have made a horrific start to their 2022/23 campaign and the central midfield department has been the glaring weakness so far. Ten Hag quite simply must upgrade upon either Fred or Scott McTominay and preferably both!
And it seems as though that’s exactly what the Dutchman plans on doing.
Man United confident that they will sign Frenkie de Jong
Sport claims United believe that they have the financial firepower to make it impossible for either Barcelona or De Jong to reject them.
If Ten Hag manages to get this one done, it will be a truly sensational signing for United.
Barcelona are believed to be asking for around €65 million (£55m) + €15m (£12m) in add-ons for a total of €80m (£67m) for the 44-capped Holland international, according to ESPN.
It sounds like a lot of money but De Jong could have a truly massive impact on United’s fortunes. He’s that good.
Ten Hag’s central midfield was incredibly weak against Brighton & Hove Albion and Brentford and De Jong would change all of that in an instant.
He bagged three goals and three assists in 32 La Liga games for Barca last season. During those appearances, the Dutchman made 51.2 passes on average per game and recorded a mightily impressive completion rate of 91.3%.
The Dutchman is highly energetic, cool and composed when in possession and a brilliant passer of the ball. He has the quality needed to dictate the tempo of the game and would add so much to the United squad.
Sport Bible describe him as elite and a masterclass midfielder. He has also been labelled as a ‘special’ player by UEFA’s official website. He would certainly be a huge upgrade on the likes of McTominay and Fred at Old Trafford.
The ex-Ajax ace has ‘remarkable pace’ (The Mirror). He’s known for a lot of brilliant attributes but his blistering speed often goes under the radar. He’d be well worth the £67m that Barca reportedly want for him.
And if United sign De Jong this summer, he’ll be an exceptional addition to Ten Hag’s ranks, we have no doubts about that.
Read also: Manchester United reportedly have the chance to sign 29-year-old ex-Premier League striker for just £30 million.
Stats via Who Scored.
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United
- Feyenoord lining up fresh proposal for Man Utd starlet Amad Diallo
- Man Utd readying big-money offer for Goncalo Ramos but Roger Schmidt hopes to keep him
- Manchester United in 2023/24 – Expectations, Predictions and Betting odds
- Erik ten Hag opens up on striker plans, David de Gea & Harry Maguire
- Marcus Rashford wins two major end-of-season awards for Manchester United
- Manchester United eliminate club crest from third kit for the 2023/24 season
- Tottenham Hotspur will resist Harry Kane sale to Man Utd this summer
- Three midfielders Manchester United could sign from the relegated Premier League clubs this summer