Manchester United could be without France international centre-back Raphael Varane for up to six weeks due to an injury he sustained against Nottingham Forest, according to Sky Sports journalist Kaveh Solhekol.
The 30-year-old was withdrawn during the half-time break after some complaints on Saturday, and while the Old Trafford club are yet to confirm whether the knock is serious, Sky Sports have shared worrying news.
Man United manager Erik ten Hag suggested after the game that Varane was taken off as a precautionary measure, but it appears the injury could be serious.
The Red Devils are already without Luke Shaw, with the England international left-back set to spend extended time on the sidelines due to a muscle injury.
Tyrell Malacia is also yet to return to full fitness having missed most of the pre-season due to injury, and Man United have been forced to go after another left-back and have tabled a loan offer for Chelsea defender Marc Cucurella.
They face Arsenal on Sunday at Emirates Stadium in their last game before the international break and will be without Varane for the trip south.
Ten Hag will likely pair Victor Lindelof with Lisandro Martinez in central defence, with Harry Maguire and Jonny Evans likely to be included in the matchday squad as cover.
Varane is the spine of the Man United defence, and he could also miss the Premier League games against Brighton & Hove Albion, Burnley, Crystal Palace and Brentford if he spends up to six weeks out of action.
Ten Hag will hope the Frenchman returns sooner rather than later and will be keen for all his players to return from international duty without any injuries.
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin