There are concerns among Manchester United bidders over whether the Glazers will sell the club, according to the Daily Mail.
They expected that a preferred bidder should have been named mid-June and a takeover is not going to get completed before their Premier League season starts on August 14.
The Premier League Owners’ and Directors’ test and other checks will take more than a month, making it impossible for new owners to be in place before Man United host Wolverhampton Wanderers at Old Trafford in their first game of the campaign.
While there are now fears among those involved over whether the Glazers will sell, some people believe that the process may well have been paused.
Both camps believe the situation could linger on until autumn or even winter, which would leave the fans frustrated.
The current owners have been in charge for 18 years and could now stay on for much longer after bidders failed to meet their £6 billion asking price.
The final bids from Sheikh Jassim bin Hamad al-Thani and Sir Jim Ratcliffe value Man United at around £5bn, and both have not budged despite attempts made by the Glazers to make them raise their offers.
Manager Erik ten Hag has gone about his business in the transfer window, with England international midfielder Mason Mount already signed and Cameroonian goalkeeper Andre Onana set to join from Inter Milan.
A deal for Atalanta hitman Rasmus Hojlund is also being pursued, and completing those three deals will be huge for the club.
Having secured Champions League qualification last term and won the League Cup, the club have continued to see an upswing in fortunes under Ten Hag, and the Glazers will not be in any rush to cash in on their prized asset.
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action
- Picture: Man Utd defender returns to training but Lindelof out & Rashford doubtful
- Rising from the ashes – Manchester United’s spectacular November revival
- ‘An incredible, good player’: Erik ten Hag on Marcus Rashford ahead of Bournemouth game
- Borussia Dortmund want €30 million or Jadon Sancho as Manchester United eye Donyell Malen, talks scheduled for today
- Erik ten Hag turns down Manchester United players’ request for more days off after complaints over workload and scheduling