Manchester United are still interested in Bayern Munich goalkeeper Yann Sommer, reports SportBild journalist Christian Falk.
The Red Devils have been linked with the Switzerland international for a while and have continued to keep tabs on him.
Sommer joined Bayern in January after spending eight and a half years with Borussia Monchengladbach.
However, the 34-year-old will be allowed to leave if Manuel Neuer returns from injury and is reinstated as the first choice.
Falk claims there is a ‘gentleman’s agreement’ between Sommer and Bayern, and it could give Man United and other suitors an opportunity.
However, the Red Devils will only get a chance of signing him if he is guaranteed the starting berth.
David de Gea has reportedly agreed to fresh terms with Man United to extend his stay.
However, the Spanish goalie has settled on a deal which comes with a lower salary than the £350,000 he earns weekly.
Despite the records he has broken and set, De Gea has continued to make errors, which have proven costly.
Manager Erik ten Hag needs someone capable of giving the Spaniard a run for his money.
Sommer has what it takes to keep De Gea on the bench and is also more suited to the manager’s style of play.
However, whether the Swiss is interested in competing for a starting spot is unknown.
Sommer has been a regular in his clubs’ starting XI since 2011, impressing at Basel before moving to the Bundesliga.
He has played 357 games since moving to Germany in 2014 and could be a solid addition to Man United’s goalkeeping department.
Sommer won four Swiss Super League titles with Basel and could finally bag a Bundesliga title at the end of the season.
- Man Utd handed big boost as Juventus lower price tag for Dusan Vlahovic
- Man Utd in pole position in Kim Min-jae race but PSG could explore deal for him
- ‘Above all’: Man Utd leading race to sign Rasmus Hojlund, need to make ‘big offer’
- Man Utd provide ‘strong competition’ in race to sign AZ Alkmaar forward Jesper Karlsson
- Man Utd boss ten Hag deems Victor Lindelof ‘untouchable’
- PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi playing significant role in Manchester United takeover bid
- Stats show why Kim Min-jae is the perfect signing for Man Utd over Axel Disasi
- Sheikh Jassim will not end interest in Manchester United if Friday deadline passes
- Manchester United finalising proposal to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd linked with Juventus star Federico Chiesa who could be sold for €30-35m