Manchester United are reportedly leading the transfer race for Wolverhampton Wanderers star Ruben Neves.
The 24-year-old has been heavily linked with Arsenal in recent weeks, with the player viewed as a replacement for Roma-bound Granit Xhaka.
However, the Gunners might find it difficult to land their target, according to talkSPORT’s Alex Crook.
He says United are currently in pole position to secure the services of the Portuguese footballer.
United have already confirmed the signing of Jadon Sancho from Borussia Dortmund while they are also closing in on Real Madrid’s Raphael Varane.
But the latest reports from Crook suggests that Neves may also make a move to Manchester this summer.
He said: “Neves is another player Mikel Arteta has been monitoring very closely, but the trail seems to have gone cold there over a move to Arsenal.
“Wolves have their price tag, £35m, and they’re willing to do business to try and generate some funds for their new manager Bruno Lage.
“Liverpool were mentioned to me, but there’s definite interest from Manchester United.
“Ruben Neves is a Portuguese teammate of Bruno Fernandes and he is actively trying to push Neves towards Old Trafford.
“They do want another midfielder regardless of Paul Pogba’s future at the club.”
United are in the market for a defensive midfielder and Neves looks like a good option for them.
He boasts plenty of Premier League and European experience. The Portugal international is known for his passing, intelligence, vision and distribution.
And compared to the likes of Declan Rice or Wilfred Ndidi, he comes at a very reasonable fee of £35m.
Since his arrival at Molineux in 2017, he has made 176 appearances across all competitions, scoring 20 goals and creating 10 assists.
- Hakim Ziyech remains a priority for Man Utd boss Erik ten Hag
- Report: Erik ten Hag makes direct request to Manchester United board to sign ‘scintillating’ Ajax attacker Antony
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- Man Utd to accelerate Wan-Bissaka’s exit to sign Sergino Dest
- Man Utd’s offer for Frenkie de Jong has expired
- Manchester United midfielder Hannibal Mejbri set to join Birmingham City on loan
- Loan Watch: Henderson impresses, Fernandez injured as United struggle to shift out players
- Manchester United confident of signing Frenkie de Jong, £55m up front needed
- Manchester United have just been told to pay £30 million for Alvaro Morata
- Manchester United pondering Jamie Vardy swoop