Manchester United have agreed a deal with Coventry City to sign academy product Charlie McCann.
The 15-year-old is one of England’s most highly-rated players in his age group and had been with the Sky Blues since the age of seven.
We have agreed an undisclosed fee with the League Two club for the midfielder.
Coventry academy manager Rich Stevens was quoted on the club’s official website as saying:
“When a big football club come knocking, and it is the club that Charlie supports, you must let him go and have that experience,” said Stevens.
“We did not want to sell him, we did not need a fee for him even though there was a fee involved.
“Charlie goes with complete support from me and the rest of the staff from the academy. He has been unbelievable for us, even making his England [under-16] debut back in August.”
McCann made his debut for the England under-16s versus Uruguay in a 2-0 win back in August.
The teenager is a lifelong Manchester United fan and will hook up with Nicky Butt as part of our academy squad.
Former-Premier League side Coventry City were relegated to the fourth tier of English football last season but have taken 13 points from their first seven fixtures under former-United striker Mark Robins to start the new season.
The Sky Blues have faced financial ruin ever since being relegated from the top flight at the start of the millennium. It included a brief move away from their home ground of the Ricoh Arena and a loss of several key players.
- Man Utd handed big boost as Juventus lower price tag for Dusan Vlahovic
- Man Utd in pole position in Kim Min-jae race but PSG could explore deal for him
- ‘Above all’: Man Utd leading race to sign Rasmus Hojlund, need to make ‘big offer’
- Man Utd provide ‘strong competition’ in race to sign AZ Alkmaar forward Jesper Karlsson
- Man Utd boss ten Hag deems Victor Lindelof ‘untouchable’
- PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi playing significant role in Manchester United takeover bid
- Stats show why Kim Min-jae is the perfect signing for Man Utd over Axel Disasi
- Sheikh Jassim will not end interest in Manchester United if Friday deadline passes
- Manchester United finalising proposal to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd linked with Juventus star Federico Chiesa who could be sold for €30-35m