Connect with us

Manchester United

Manchester United 3-3 Coventry City: Three talking points as the Red Devils win 4-2 on penalties and survive an almighty scare 

Manchester United scraped past Coventry City on penalties to reach the FA Cup final this afternoon.

The Red Devils cruised into a 2-0 lead before half-time and scored the third goal on the hour mark for what appeared to be a routine win.

Coventry City fought back in the last 20 minutes, scoring three goals and forcing the game to extra time.

Victor Torp scored in the 122nd minute, but VAR ruled the goal offside to save Man United’s blushes.

Ben Sheaf missed the crucial penalty in the shoot-out, allowing the Red Devils to advance to the final.

Here are three talking points from the thrilling clash.

Horrible in-game tactics from Erik ten Hag

There is no excuse for letting a 3-0 lead slip in the semi-final against a team that plays in a division below the Premier League.

Ten Hag took Alejandro Garnacho off for Antony instead of Marcus Rashford who had been poor all afternoon.

Amad Diallo should have been introduced before the Brazilian trickster, but the manager’s favouritism does not seem to be stopping.

Ten Hag opted to substitute Kobbie Mainoo right after United conceded for the first time.

The 19-year-old was the only holding midfielder available as Casemiro was playing centre-back.

Scott McTominay was asked to operate as a number six – a tactical switch which backfired.

The United manager was almost certain to be sacked if United had lost the clash. 

Maguire and Fernandes show poor leadership

There is no doubt that the United duo produced impressive individual performances.

Maguire was rock-solid at the back and won several duels. 

Fernandes got his name on the scoresheet via a wicked deflection. He came close to doubling his tally, but his shot rattled the bar.

His ice-cold penalty was crucial in taking United into the FA Cup final.

However, Maguire and Fernandes failed to demonstrate leadership and rally the team when Coventry attempted to come back into the game.

The experienced duo are not in the team only for their individual performances but also to make the team function better. They failed.

Onana’s antics in the penalty shoot-out saved United

Andre Onana had a comfortable 70 minutes before a storm hit him. The Cameroon international must have done better during City’s second goal.

Callum O’Hare’s shot looped into the air and hit the net after striking Aaron Wan-Bissaka.

Onana had ample time to react when the ball went into the air, but he remained rooted to his spot.

He redeemed himself with a superb stop in the penalty shoot-out against O’Hare.

When Sheaf came to take his strike, Onana took a page out of Emiliano Martinez’s book to put pressure on the midfielder.

Onana welcomed the 26-year-old with a few words, aiming to put off City’s captain. The antics worked as Sheaf fired his strike over the bar.

Latest News