Manchester United’s transfer priority is pretty much clear this summer following a fresh injury blow for Anthony Martial this month.
The Frenchman has revived his United career under manager Erik ten Hag this season but his injuries have drastically reduced his playing time.
The 27-year-old has eight goal contributions from just 722 minutes, but the main concern has been his fitness record over the entire season.
The £54 million signing has already suffered five separate injuries which have seen him miss 19 games.
He recently made his comeback from a leg injury against Nottingham Forest, but was once again absent against Crystal Palace with a recurrence.
His situation is bound to frustrate the club as well as Ten Hag and in our opinion, the hierarchy should look to part ways with him in the summer.
United are said to be eyeing a marquee striker and their transfer priority is clear as they cannot depend on an injury-plagued Martial to lead the line.
The club are not pursuing any striker at the moment but judging by recent speculation, Napoli’s Victor Osimhen could be a player on their radar.
The Nigerian star has been a revelation for Napoli this term. He has amassed 14 goals and four assists from just 16 league outings for the runaway Serie A leaders.
Osimhen will come with a premium price of £107 million but the 24-year-old could be a leading star for years to come. He is already a strong physical striker at Napoli.
Tottenham Hotspur’s Harry Kane continues to be mentioned as another target. The England captain has had another fine season with 16 top-flight goals.
He could be available for around £100m if he does not extend his Spurs contract, but he could be a risky signing as he will turn 30 before next season.
Kane has shown no signs of slowing down, but could only be a short-term solution for United and does not represent the manager’s long-term vision.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag has given go-ahead to sign Goncalo Ramos from Benfica
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag ‘concerned’ about Newcastle time-wasting
- Man Utd ‘first on the list’ for Ansu Fati, Jorge Mendes working on summer deal
- Erik ten Hag confirms double Man Utd injury boost ahead of Newcastle clash
- Man Utd defender Luke Shaw agrees fresh four-year contract
- Sheikh Jassim believes new Owners’ and Directors’ Test will not affect his Man United takeover
- Erik ten Hag to make decision on futures of Scott McTominay and Victor Lindelof
- Manchester United’s debt rises to almost £1 billion
- Erik ten Hag wants Andre Onana to provide competition to David de Gea next season
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups