Manchester United’s transfer offer to sign Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong has expired, according to De Telegraaf’s Marcel van der Kraan.
Earlier in July, the Red Devils agreed a package of £63 million plus £8.5m in add-ons with Barcelona for De Jong, but a move has not materialised.
The 25-year-old has refused to consider an exit in recent weeks, and it has been regularly stated that he does not want to discuss personal terms.
Van der Kraan has now revealed that the transfer offer has now ‘expired’ and United will have to begin a fresh round of negotiations with Barcelona.
He said: “I have heard – from very strong sources – that Manchester United’s offer for Frenkie de Jong has expired. New negotiations will have to begin. They will have to make a new construction to fulfill the economic wishes of the player.”
United could land Frenkie de Jong for a lesser fee
United are the only club that have been in formal negotiations with Barcelona for De Jong.
Chelsea have also been regularly linked with the Netherlands international, but the Blues seem to be in the progress of giving up without making a transfer bid.
Hence, the Red Devils are still in pole position for the player. The expiry of their previous offer could be a good thing as they can now negotiate a lower package.
Back in mid-July, the Catalan giants were in deep financial trouble, but most of those concerns have been sorted by the activation of four separate economic levers.
Only Jules Kounde is left to be registered by the club. The Catalans still have plans to sign Bernardo Silva and Marcos Alonso, but nothing is concrete at the moment.
United are not ‘prepared to give up yet’ according to De Telegraaf, and we feel the club could try to negotiate a lesser package by taking advantage of the situation.
It is quite clear that De Jong has to leave for Barcelona to fulfil their transfer ambitions, and it could well happen during the dying stages of the summer transfer window.
Provided the Blaugrana reach a compromise over his deferred wages, we still see the possibility of De Jong heading to Old Trafford if there are no offers from elsewhere.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United
- Feyenoord lining up fresh proposal for Man Utd starlet Amad Diallo
- Man Utd readying big-money offer for Goncalo Ramos but Roger Schmidt hopes to keep him
- Manchester United in 2023/24 – Expectations, Predictions and Betting odds
- Erik ten Hag opens up on striker plans, David de Gea & Harry Maguire
- Marcus Rashford wins two major end-of-season awards for Manchester United
- Manchester United eliminate club crest from third kit for the 2023/24 season
- Tottenham Hotspur will resist Harry Kane sale to Man Utd this summer
- Three midfielders Manchester United could sign from the relegated Premier League clubs this summer