Manchester United’s move for Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana depends on David de Gea leaving on a free transfer, according to The Athletic.
De Gea has been United’s number one in goal for the past 12 seasons, and the Spaniard has agreed in principle to extend his stay at the club.
He has communicated his decision to return to United after his holidays, but The Athletic report that a new contract has not yet been signed.
United are looking into a possible deal for Onana, but a transfer may depend on De Gea leaving the club at the expiry of his contract this month.
The club are currently working on a limited budget with the main focus on pursuing a centre-forward and a midfielder during the transfer window.
De Gea more likely to extend his contract
De Gea kept an impressive 25 clean sheets in all competitions last season. He won the Premier League Golden Glove after managing 17 shut-outs from 38 games.
Despite the glowing statistic, the 32-year-old was guilty of four errors leading to goals. He should have done better to prevent Manchester City’s winner in the FA Cup final.
Ten Hag would ideally prefer a shot-stopper who is comfortable at the ball at his feet and possesses good distribution. Onana would be a perfect fit for the number one role.
In our view, there is a higher possibility that United could extend De Gea’s stay. The ‘magnificent‘ star is likely to accept a pay-cut on his current £375,000-a-week wages.
This could seemingly close the door on Onana’s move to Old Trafford. With United’s tight budget, they could postpone their plans for a new keeper until next summer.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Capology.com
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions
- Gareth Southgate to hold talks with Kobbie Mainoo as he is desperate to see him pledge his international future to England
- Three Manchester United changes Erik ten Hag should make for the must-win UCL clash against Galatasaray