Manchester United’s interest in Mason Mount has been driven by admiration from manager Erik ten Hag, according to Standard Sport.
The England international will enter the final year of his Blues contract in July and the west London outfit have failed to convince him over a renewal.
Hence, he is likely to head for the exit door and The Athletic revealed yesterday that the midfielder prefers to join United and talks are due soon.
It is now reported that United’s interest in the 24-year-old has been driven by Ten Hag’s admiration.
The Dutch tactician wanted to sign Mount for Ajax on loan following his stint with Vitesse but the Blues chose to send him to Derby County instead.
United are unlikely to get Mount on the cheap. Chelsea are likely to demand over £60 million for the midfielder despite his contract expiring in June 2024.
Mount speculation generating mixed response
Mount had a good 2021/22 campaign with 13 goals and 16 assists in all competitions but he has struggled this season amid form and injury concerns.
The Blues graduate has managed just nine goal contributions from 35 appearances and he has barely played since March due to a persistent pelvic problem.
Hence, the speculation has generated a mixed response from fans but in our opinion, United should back Ten Hag if he is keen on signing the versatile playmaker.
Mount has largely played as an attacking midfielder for Chelsea but he is more than capable of operating from the number eight position when required.
His versatility would make him a shrewd signing as he could replace Christian Eriksen or Bruno Fernandes in the starting line-up during the next campaign.
The £60m fee is definitely on the higher side. If United can lower the price tag to around £40m, it would represent a good piece of business for them.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd decide against permanent deals for Wout Weghorst and Marcel Sabitzer
- ‘World-class’ Bruno Fernandes should get captaincy next season without question
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United
- Feyenoord lining up fresh proposal for Man Utd starlet Amad Diallo
- Man Utd readying big-money offer for Goncalo Ramos but Roger Schmidt hopes to keep him
- Manchester United in 2023/24 – Expectations, Predictions and Betting odds
- Erik ten Hag opens up on striker plans, David de Gea & Harry Maguire
- Marcus Rashford wins two major end-of-season awards for Manchester United
- Manchester United eliminate club crest from third kit for the 2023/24 season