It appears Manchester United have made their first signing of the summer as Brazilian midfielder Fred has confirmed his move via social media.
Reliable Italian journalist Gianluca Di Marzio broke the news last week that we had agreed a £44 million deal with Shakhtar Donetsk and now it appears the player has agreed terms with the club.
Fred arrived in England in the early hours of Monday morning as part of the 23-man Brazil World Cup squad ahead of their pre-tournament training and friendly versus Croatia at Anfield on Sunday 3 June.
It was speculated that the 25-year-old could undergo a medical and agree personal terms with us this week whilst he is in the country and it appears that has now been done.
As spotted by the Manchester Evening News today, one of Fred’s friends on Twitter cited a report from MEN that he was on his way to Manchester United, with the comment: ‘Good, deserving.’ To which Fred replied: ‘Thank you, Nany.’.
Jose Mourinho likes to get his business done before any summer tournament so don’t be surprised if the boss and club officials have been working hard on this. The player’s agent, Gilberto Silva, formerly of Arsenal, flew into London last week to open discussions over a move to Old Trafford.
We are definitely looking at signing two central midfielders this summer as Michael Carrick has now retired and Marouane Fellaini is set to depart next month. This has left us with only four experienced players in this position with Jose playing a 4-3-3 system.
Lazio’s Sergej Milinkovic-Savic has also been strongly linked.
- Man Utd set to appoint Chris Armas as first-team coach under Ralf Rangnick
- Tactical Analysis: Hugely encouraging signs in Ralf Rangnick’s debut against Crystal Palace
- Man Utd fans delighted with Fred’s stand-out display against Crystal Palace
- Ralf Rangnick heaps praise on Fred and Scott McTominay after Crystal Palace win
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace
- Who will Rangnick target in the transfer window?
- Man Utd fans react to Fred’s performance vs Arsenal
- Michael Carrick leaves Manchester United in wake of Arsenal win
- Manchester United vs Arsenal 3-2: Cristiano Ronaldo saves the day again
- Michael Carrick provides fresh injury update on Raphael Varane