Manchester United have yet to make an approach to sign Borussia Monchengladbach midfielder Denis Zakaria, reputed journalist Fabrizio Romano claims.
The Switzerland international has decided against signing a new contract beyond June, and it has already been confirmed by the Bundesliga outfit.
There are suggestions that the 25-year-old could be sold on a cut-price deal this month, but United have yet to lodge a bid for the player’s services.
Zakaria is ‘appreciated’ by interim boss Ralf Rangnick, but there has been no formal communication between the clubs as things stand.
Zakaria has been a quality player for Monchengladbach over the years with his strong distribution and excellent dribbling qualities in the opposition half.
His tackling was deemed a weakness in his early career, but there has also been a significant improvement in that aspect. The Swiss has averaged 1.5 tackles per game this season.
The midfielder also possesses a tireless work rate with an urge to push forward. He has averaged more than one shot per game. These are attributes that Rangnick prefers in his players.
He could be available for just £5.8 million this month, but United are yet to make a formal bid.
It remains to be seen whether they are interested in pursuing new signings this month.
Rangnick will step down from his interim role at the end of the campaign to become a consultant for the next two years. The new head coach may want players of his own ahead of next season.
The club recently confirmed that Ed Woodward will be leaving his Executive Vice-Chairman post on February 1. Richard Arnold will replace him as the Chief Executive Officer.
Woodward has been in charge of transfer dealings for nearly a decade, and the club’s hierarchy may resist any signings this month.
There may not be any transfer activity until the summer.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com.
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final
- Man Utd studying right offer for Alessandro Bastoni
- Should Man Utd move for Chelsea target Josko Gvardiol?
- What can Man Utd fans expect from Erik ten Hag?
- Man Utd leading race to sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic
- Man Utd willing to pay €50m for Villarreal defender Pau Torres