Manchester United have yet to make an approach to sign Borussia Monchengladbach midfielder Denis Zakaria, reputed journalist Fabrizio Romano claims.
The Switzerland international has decided against signing a new contract beyond June, and it has already been confirmed by the Bundesliga outfit.
There are suggestions that the 25-year-old could be sold on a cut-price deal this month, but United have yet to lodge a bid for the player’s services.
Zakaria is ‘appreciated’ by interim boss Ralf Rangnick, but there has been no formal communication between the clubs as things stand.
Zakaria has been a quality player for Monchengladbach over the years with his strong distribution and excellent dribbling qualities in the opposition half.
His tackling was deemed a weakness in his early career, but there has also been a significant improvement in that aspect. The Swiss has averaged 1.5 tackles per game this season.
The midfielder also possesses a tireless work rate with an urge to push forward. He has averaged more than one shot per game. These are attributes that Rangnick prefers in his players.
He could be available for just £5.8 million this month, but United are yet to make a formal bid.
It remains to be seen whether they are interested in pursuing new signings this month.
Rangnick will step down from his interim role at the end of the campaign to become a consultant for the next two years. The new head coach may want players of his own ahead of next season.
The club recently confirmed that Ed Woodward will be leaving his Executive Vice-Chairman post on February 1. Richard Arnold will replace him as the Chief Executive Officer.
Woodward has been in charge of transfer dealings for nearly a decade, and the club’s hierarchy may resist any signings this month.
There may not be any transfer activity until the summer.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com.
- Erik ten Hag wants Man Utd to sign Cody Gakpo in January, Rafael Leao is the alternative
- Man Utd great candidates to sign Atletico Madrid star Joao Felix in January
- Harry Maguire impresses for England in World Cup stalemate against USA
- Man Utd have Jonathan David on their radar, Lille would sell him for €50m
- Four Irish Players United Could Sign Next
- Man Utd ready to step up chase for €60m-rated Cody Gakpo
- Man Utd join Barcelona in race to sign midfielder Martin Zubimendi
- Key night for Manchester United trio as England eye World Cup progress
- Saudi government would back private sector bids for Man Utd
- Manchester United’s ‘winter’ friendlies and what Erik ten Hag can achieve with them