Manchester United have yet to make an approach to sign Borussia Monchengladbach midfielder Denis Zakaria, reputed journalist Fabrizio Romano claims.
The Switzerland international has decided against signing a new contract beyond June, and it has already been confirmed by the Bundesliga outfit.
There are suggestions that the 25-year-old could be sold on a cut-price deal this month, but United have yet to lodge a bid for the player’s services.
Zakaria is ‘appreciated’ by interim boss Ralf Rangnick, but there has been no formal communication between the clubs as things stand.
Zakaria has been a quality player for Monchengladbach over the years with his strong distribution and excellent dribbling qualities in the opposition half.
His tackling was deemed a weakness in his early career, but there has also been a significant improvement in that aspect. The Swiss has averaged 1.5 tackles per game this season.
The midfielder also possesses a tireless work rate with an urge to push forward. He has averaged more than one shot per game. These are attributes that Rangnick prefers in his players.
He could be available for just £5.8 million this month, but United are yet to make a formal bid.
It remains to be seen whether they are interested in pursuing new signings this month.
Rangnick will step down from his interim role at the end of the campaign to become a consultant for the next two years. The new head coach may want players of his own ahead of next season.
The club recently confirmed that Ed Woodward will be leaving his Executive Vice-Chairman post on February 1. Richard Arnold will replace him as the Chief Executive Officer.
Woodward has been in charge of transfer dealings for nearly a decade, and the club’s hierarchy may resist any signings this month.
There may not be any transfer activity until the summer.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com.
- Anthony Martial plays key role in Man Utd’s late win vs West Ham
- Ralf Rangnick reacts to Marcus Rashford’s dramatic winner against West Ham
- Ralf Rangnick confirms two Man Utd starters vs West Ham United
- Manchester United vs West Ham United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Barcelona attacker Ousmane Dembele tempted by Man Utd move
- Will Jesse Lingard move to Newcastle or Tottenham this transfer window?
- Man Utd cool down interest in Denis Zakaria
- Man Utd may not approve Ralf Rangnick’s wish to sign Amadou Haidara
- Juventus in direct contact with Man Utd over Anthony Martial loan deal
- Man Utd receive Martial-Dembele swap proposal from Barcelona