Manchester United have been linked to several players since the close of the January transfer window but have yet to officially complete a deal.
It is expected to be another busy summer transfer window for us with Jose Mourinho expected to spend a lot of cash on bringing in new recruits.
We are very likely to sign a central midfielder or two and the boss will probably want to bring in another centre-back too. There are other areas that Jose will likely want to upgrade or reinforce on top of this.
However, Sheffield Wednesday manager Jos Luhukay believes it is a more attacking player that we’re going to land, as the Owls boss claims England under-20 international forward George Hirst could join us this summer.
The Dutch coach has told BBC Radio Sheffield (via Sky Sports):
“It’s a decision George will have to make himself. I think it’s really difficult when a club as big as Manchester United has an interest in him to say no.
“George must decide how he sees his future and I respect that. A good decision or not a good decision, I cannot answer that.”
George Hirst is the son of former-Sheffield Wednesday striker, David, who was a target of Sir Alex Ferguson’s in the early 1990s.
Having progressed through the Yorkshire club’s academy, Hirst rejected a new contract at the end of last year. This is understandable if the likes of Manchester United, Everton and Leicester City are all interested in the 19-year-old, as reported.
George Hirst is a forward and has made two appearances for Sheffield Wednesday in the Championship this season and has five caps for the England under-20s.
If Jose Mourinho is working on a deal for the teenager, as the Metro are reporting, then we will be required to agree a compensation package with the Championship club or let the fee be decided by tribunal, due to the player’s age.
- Erik ten Hag can finally unleash his best attack against Galatasaray tonight
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Galatasaray, Hannibal Mejbri returns
- Why Man Utd should sign Antonio Silva instead of Jean-Clair Todibo
- David de Gea sends message to Manchester United defender Lisandro Martinez as Argentine is ruled out for months
- Man Utd missing eight players for Galatasaray clash as Lisandro Martinez’s surgery is confirmed
- Boost for Man Utd with Hakim Ziyech missing from Galatasaray’s travelling squad
- Kobbie Mainoo returns to Manchester United training after picking up injury in pre-season
- Dermot Gallagher: Officials made right decision not to award Manchester United penalty against Crystal Palace after ball struck Joel Ward’s arm
- Erik ten Hag confirms Antony will be in consideration for Galatasaray clash
- Three goals in last four meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday