Harry Maguire and Victor Lindelof have uncertain futures at Manchester United after falling down the pecking order and being short of playing time this season.
Given United’s need to improve their defensive options, it’s little wonder Erik ten Hag has been linked with a move for Kim Min-jae.
United are expected to make an attempt for the SSC Napoli defender this summer and Il Mattino say they may be able to sign him for €55-€70 million (£48.5m-£61.7m).
However, it’s hard to see the Red Devils making a move as Maguire and Lindelof aren’t likely to be sold to make room for the 26-year-old.
Min-jae joined Napoli from Fenerbahce last summer and has gone on to make 35 appearances in all competitions, scoring two goals with one assist.
The South Korean international has been a regular in Naples, helping his new side go 19 points clear at the top of Serie A, but his future is uncertain.
United reportedly want to sign the resolute centre-back less than a year after he joined Gli Azzurri, so they’ll have to spend big to get Napoli’s attention.
But with the Red Devils having Maguire, Lindelof, Lisandro Martínez, Raphaël Varane, Phil Jones and Teden Mengi at the back, they’re already overstocked.
Martinez and Varane are regulars in defence, so would Min-jae leave Napoli to play second fiddle in Manchester? And with Maguire playing in their last Europa League bout and every FA Cup game, he still has a purpose under Ten Hag.
Lindelof has also been short of playing time, but he’s still featured in two of their last three FA Cup clashes while coming off the bench in their previous Europa League win.
Ten Hag is clearly happy enough with the pair as cover, so he may not try to sell two players in one transfer window to bring in an indispensable player with a lofty asking price.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd join Arsenal in race to sign Besiktas wonderkid Semih Kilicsoy
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Kambwala starts
- ‘He’s unstoppable’: Erik ten Hag defends Man Utd winger Antony
- Fresh injury concerns for Ten Hag as Varane, Fernandes & Maguire could miss Forest match
- Man Utd consider Antonio Silva as ideal candidate to strengthen their defence
- Preview: Nottingham Forest vs Manchester United – stats, team news, line-ups
- Man United players requested Sunday off after Fulham loss
- Incoming Man United CEO Omar Berrada already meeting senior executives while on gardening leave
- ‘He’s available’: Erik ten Hag confirms Casemiro is fit to face Nottingham Forest
- Simone Inzaghi on Manchester United radar as enquiries made over Italian manager