Manchester United could be without six key players for Tuesday’s crunch Premier League clash against Liverpool at Anfield.
The Red Devils returned to winning ways on Saturday with a 3-2 triumph over Norwich City. Cristiano Ronaldo stole the headlines with the 50th hat-trick of his club career.
Despite the victory, the defensive performance was far from convincing once more. Goalkeeper David de Gea needed to make a crucial save when the scores were level at 2-2.
Interim boss Ralf Rangnick has urged for two key improvements against the Reds, but ahead of the game, there has not been anything positive for the club on the injury front.
Luke Shaw has been ruled out for the campaign after a leg surgery while Fred, Scott McTominay and Edinson Cavani have been ruled out with respective injuries.
Rangnick recently hinted that Raphael Varane could return for the Anfield trip, but the Frenchman is still undergoing rehabilitation and has yet to return to full training.
Rangnick told Manutd.com: “Rapha [Varane] didn’t train with the team. He was on the pitch with one of our rehab coaches. But with regard to injured players, we have the same situation that we had in the last two games.”
Aside from the quintet, we don’t expect Ronaldo to be involved tomorrow following the tragic news of the death of his baby boy. He should get an extended break from action.
United have brought themselves within three points off fourth-placed Tottenham, but they have a big test ahead with Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea to face this month.
Anfield has not been a friendly ground for them over the years. United have not been on the winning side since 2016, but will be hoping to end the wretched streak tomorrow.
The defence have their work cut out against one of the best attacking teams. A victory would be an excellent result, but a point won’t be bad either, given Spurs also need to face them on the road. Antonio Conte’s side also have to meet Arsenal next month.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd agree fee with Barcelona for Frenkie de Jong
- Erik ten Hag could hand first-team chance to James Garner
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final