Manchester United are set to be without five key players for tomorrow’s Europa League group stage encounter against Sheriff Tiraspol in Moldova.
The Red Devils started their European campaign on a disappointing note with a 1-0 loss to Real Sociedad at home. The La Liga outfit won with a controversial penalty.
Manager Erik ten Hag will want a strong response against Sheriff on Thursday, and ahead of the game, United have confirmed their travelling squad of 22 players.
Among them, Marcus Rashford, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Donny van de Beek and Anthony Martial are notable absentees alongside new summer signing Martin Dubravka.
United’s missing quintet could be carrying injuries
Martial has been sidelined since picking up an Achilles injury against Liverpool last month, and it is quite clear that the Frenchman has yet to return to training.
It appears Rashford, Van de Beek and Wan-Bissaka are also carrying minor injuries, having been absent for Wednesday’s early training session in Carrington.
No update has been provided on Dubravka yet, but it is unlikely that Ten Hag would leave out his back-up goalkeeper if he was 100 per cent fit for the game.
Aside from the main quintet, Phil Jones and Brandon Williams are long-term absentees for United, and they have not been included in the Europa League squad.
Axel Tuanzebe and Facundo Pellistri have been named in the 25-man squad, but they are only due to return from respective injuries after the international break.
Ten Hag is bound to name a strong line-up against Sheriff, having rested a number of regular starters in the group stage opener versus Sociedad at Old Trafford.
The likes of Raphael Varane, Lisandro Martinez, Scott McTominay, Bruno Fernandes and Jadon Sancho could all make the starting XI. David de Gea looks set to continue in goal.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Manchester United: Christian Eriksen’s masterclass helps Denmark beat France 2-0
- Manchester United news: Nemanja Matic fires back at Roy Keane and defends Harry Maguire
- Manchester United stars shine as Portugal stun Czech Republic 4-0 in the Nations League
- Manchester United star will miss Ukraine clash after picking up second booking in Scotland’s Nations League win
- Manchester United star defends his place in England team after Nations League defeat to Italy
- Ronald Koeman believes Manchester United need to give Ten Hag time to guide them to success
- Manchester United football director makes youth player promise
- Eriksen shines but will he stay fit through Man United’s busy October?
- Gakpo has been on a great run of form – have Man United missed out?
- Christian Eriksen named Manchester United’s Player of the Month for September