Manchester United are ‘willing to pay’ the release clause of Real Sociedad star Martin Zubimendi, according to Spanish outlet AS (today’s edition, page 34).
The Red Devils upgraded their midfield options in the last transfer window with the signings of Casemiro and Christian Eriksen. The experienced duo are now regular starters under manager Erik ten Hag.
This has not stopped speculation linking midfielders with the club. AS report that United have joined Barcelona in the race to sign Zubimendi, who has a €60 million release clause on his contract.
It is added that the club are studying the termination clause ahead of a possible approach. United are said to have watched the 23-year-old closely during their recent European outings against Sociedad.
Man Utd could move for Zubimendi next summer
Zubimendi has made a big impression with Sociedad. The 23-year-old can play in the defensive and central midfield roles, but has excelled from the former of those positions.
This campaign, he has averaged nearly two tackles and one interception per game. He has also caught the eye with his ability to win regular aerial duels. He has a success rate of 75 per cent.
Hence, it is unsurprising that United and Barcelona are hot on his trail. The latter are considering him as a replacement for veteran star Sergio Busquets at the end of the campaign.
It is clear that the Catalan giants can’t buy Zubimendi in January due to La Liga’s spending restrictions, but we still don’t see United attempting to sign him in the next transfer window.
Sociedad are unlikely to sell the Spaniard for less than his release clause. Meanwhile, United seem well covered in midfield at least until the summer where they could decide to release Fred.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and SofaScore.com
- Erik ten Hag gives advice to Garnacho and Pellistri on Manchester United opportunities
- PSV Eindhoven interested in signing Man Utd forward Anthony Elanga
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Reading, Garnacho and Pellistri start
- “I’m not Harry Potter” – Erik ten Hag outlines real reasons for Marcus Rashford’s resurgence
- Anthony Elanga and Facundo Pellistri to stay at Manchester United
- Denzel Dumfries’ agent pushing Man Utd to finalise summer transfer
- How Man Utd could sign Everton wonderkid this summer
- Man Utd can sign RB Leipzig star Dani Olmo for €70m this summer
- Manchester United vs Reading: FA Cup preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Erik ten Hag confirms fresh Man Utd concern ahead of Reading clash