Manchester United will have to pay €25 million to sign Boca Juniors wonderkid Aaron Anselmino before the transfer window closes on February 1.
Anselmino is one of the best emerging centre-backs in Argentina and Planet Boca Juniors report that United have already made enquiries for the 18-year-old.
AC Milan are also interested in the teenager, but Boca won’t entertain anything less than €25m to part ways with the defender before the winter transfer deadline.
The Argentine giants recently lost the services of Valentin Barco to Brighton & Hove Albion. The Premier League club triggered a €9.2m release clause in his contract.
To avoid a repeat, Boca recently handed a new deal to Anselmino with a €18.4m buy-out clause. That value has increased to €25m for the final days of the transfer window.
Man Utd should beat Milan to Anselmino signing
The 18-year-old has made only five senior appearances for Boca, but he has been impressive.
The young centre-back is a strong ball-playing centre-back. He has won 68 per cent of his ground and aerial duels per game with an average of nearly three tackles won.
He has also caught the eye with his recovery pace and ability to clear his lines. Boca are aware of his huge potential and seem reluctant to accept less than €25m for his services.
United may not afford the fee up front due to Financial Fair Play issues. A loan deal with an obligation to buy is a possibility, but the club may have other plans in mind.
With Sofyan Amrabat already on loan, the Red Devils can register only one more loan signing. They are likely to focus on the acquisition of a striker on a short-term deal.
Hence, any move for Anselmino could be delayed until the summer, but the hierarchy need to engage with the player via his entourage to convince him to join the club.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini
- Manchester United youngster Ethan Williams set to sign new contract
- Manchester United: Sao Paulo make stance clear on Casemiro transfer
- Mason Greenwood harbours no great desire to play for Manchester United again
- Man Utd join Arsenal in race to sign Besiktas wonderkid Semih Kilicsoy
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Kambwala starts
- ‘He’s unstoppable’: Erik ten Hag defends Man Utd winger Antony