Manchester United will have to choose between Antony and Lisandro Martinez with Ajax reluctant to lose both players during this summer’s transfer window, The Mirror reports.
The Red Devils are yet to make a major signing this summer, but they have been heavily linked with Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong over the past few weeks.
While the club remain locked in negotiations for the Dutchman, they also appear to be interested in signing Antony and Martinez from Erik ten Hag’s former club.
However, it may not be easy to convince Ajax, considering Ryan Gravenberch and Noussair Mazraoui have joined Bayern Munich while Sebastian Haller will soon sign for Borussia Dortmund.
Ajax don’t want to tear apart the winning squad built by Ten Hag during his successful four-and-a-year reign and may ask the Red Devils to choose between Antony and Martinez this summer.
The Dutch champions are open to selling both if an exceptional transfer offer arrives, but it is suggested that they don’t need money, having earned over £350 million from player sales over the past four years.
United need to bolster multiple positions during the transfer window after a dismal Premier League campaign that saw them finish sixth with just 58 points on the board.
A new centre-back is a priority for Ten Hag, but he may also want to bolster the right wing department. It has been a position where the Red Devils have struggled for creativity.
If the 52-year-old were to choose between Antony and Martinez, he may prefer to go with the former, given his style of play is focused on an attacking brand of football.
Antony is a specialist right-winger. The Brazilian made 22 goal contributions in the recent campaign despite spending the final two months on the sidelines with an injury.
He would provide the Red Devils with a much-needed solution on the right flank. United would still need to pay a premium fee for him with Ajax eyeing over £50m to sell.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest