Manchester United will have a pre-sales budget of just £20 million this summer if they miss out on next season’s Champions League campaign, Daily Mail reports.
The Red Devils have endured a disappointing Premier League season, and they are currently six points adrift of fourth-placed Tottenham Hotspur with just seven games left to play.
With Spurs also having a superior goal difference, United have their task cut out on making the top four. It seems improbable at the moment unless Spurs start dropping points.
Amidst this, Daily Mail reports that incoming boss Erik ten Hag could have an initial budget of just £20m if United don’t qualify for the Champions League next season.
Harry Kane, Declan Rice, Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, Aurelien Tchouameni, Yves Bissouma and Jurrien Timber are among top targets, but none could be pursued as things stand.
United have a busy summer ahead. Paul Pogba, Jesse Lingard, Juan Mata, and Lee Grant could leave on free transfers when their contracts expire on June 30.
That would save more than £500,000-a-week in wages. This amounts to £26.2m annually, but the sum could be easily spent on the salaries of summer arrivals.
Hence, Ten Hag may need to offload some high-profile players, who have been on the fringes of the first-team. Eric Bailly, Phil Jones and Anthony Martial could be shown the exit door.
Donny van de Beek is another player, who has barely made an impact since his arrival from Ajax in 2020. Ten Hag could revive his career, but it won’t be a surprise if the Dutchman is sold.
Meanwhile, the club also have a big decision to make over the future of Cristiano Ronaldo, who is currently the highest earner in the Premier League at around £510,000-a-week.
The Portugal international has not played outside of the Champions League in Europe for the past two decades, and could be tempted to move on during this summer’s transfer window.
He has fared well in his homecoming with 18 goals, but there are question marks over his adaptability to Ten Hag. If a world-class player of Harry Kane’s calibre arrives, Ronaldo could make way.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Spotrac.com
- Manchester United news: Nemanja Matic fires back at Roy Keane and defends Harry Maguire
- Manchester United stars shine as Portugal stun Czech Republic 4-0 in the Nations League
- Manchester United star will miss Ukraine clash after picking up second booking in Scotland’s Nations League win
- Manchester United star defends his place in England team after Nations League defeat to Italy
- Ronald Koeman believes Manchester United need to give Ten Hag time to guide them to success
- Manchester United football director makes youth player promise
- Eriksen shines but will he stay fit through Man United’s busy October?
- Gakpo has been on a great run of form – have Man United missed out?
- Christian Eriksen named Manchester United’s Player of the Month for September
- Sir Alex Ferguson wanted to sign Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale before retiring, claims Patrice Evra