Manchester United were keeping a close eye on the performance of Brondby star Nicolai Vallys at the weekend, according to Ekstra Bladet.
The 27-year-old has been hugely impressive in his second season at Brondby, scoring seven goals and providing one assist from just 14 appearances.
His form has attracted interest from several clubs and Ekstra Bladet reveal that United were one of those, who were monitoring him on Sunday.
Scouts from Aston Villa and Southampton were also in attendance to watch the attacker, who scored a second-half winner against Nordjylland.
Despite the interest, the Danish newspaper question whether any club would be willing to put ‘large sums of millions’ on the table, considering he is already 27 years of age.
United could be eyeing a deputy playmaker
Bruno Fernandes has been United’s regular starter from the number 10 role. The club have Mason Mount and Christian Eriksen as back-up choices.
None of them have been in good scoring form in the current season, but we still don’t believe the club will pursue a deal for Vallys in the New Year.
The Dane is having the best phase of his career. He has registered seven goals and is only five away from matching his best-ever scoring campaign.
His progress is attracting attention, but it would be a backward step for United to sign him, considering his age and lack of experience in an elite league.
Ten Hag has sufficient quality to work with within the squad. He needs to get the best out of Mount, who has yet to find his feet since his summer arrival.
In recent games, Ten Hag has played Fernandes on the right wing. If he persists with the same, we would like to see Mount in the playmaker’s position rather than starting on the bench.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- ‘If you are good enough, you are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions