Despite Antonio Valencia being one of the top right-backs in the Premier League, Manchester United continue to be linked with a number of replacement options. The club captain will be 33 before the start of next season but Valencia’s fitness suggests he has a few more years at least left at the top.
Today we are being linked with a move for Real Sociedad right-back Alvaro Odriozola over the summer. The 22-year-old is in his first full season as a starter for the Basque club having broken into the first team last season.
Odriozola has made 25 La Liga appearances (24 starts) this season and a further six in the Europa League and has apparently impressed Jose Mourinho and Manchester United scouts.
The Sun are reporting that we would only need to spend £18 million to acquire the full-back, which in today’s market is nothing.
Although Valencia is 32, we do have youngsters Timothy Fosu-Mensah and Axel Tuanzebe to return from Crystal Palace and Aston Villa respectively before the start of next season. Matteo Darmian is still on our books though the Italian international may be offloaded over the summer.
Alvaro Odriozola is a highly-rated right-back in Spain and has two caps for the national team, keeping a clean sheet in both appearances. He is a pacey defender who ventures forward and helps with creating chances for teammates in the final third.
Whether he will be part of the Spanish national team at the World Cup remains to be seen, but if he is we could do with agreeing a deal before the tournament kicks off in order for his value not to sky rocket.
- Jadon Sancho reunion would be appealing for Borussia Dortmund but there are reservations
- Manchester United to assess fitness of three players ahead of their Premier League clash with Crystal Palace
- Daley Blind sends warning to Man Utd midfielder Donny van de Beek
- Man United plan contract talks for rising star Hannibal Mejbri
- Sofyan Amrabat only wanted Man Utd this summer, eyes permanent stay
- Roy Keane sends message to Jadon Sancho after Man Utd exile
- Manchester United’s under-21s suffer 8-1 thrashing against Bolton Wanderers
- Man Utd have fresh solution at left-back with Sofyan Amrabat
- Alejandro Garnacho reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s performance against Crystal Palace
- Casemiro delivers masterclass performance against Crystal Palace in Carabao Cup