Manchester United are monitoring Brentford striker Ivan Toney ahead of a potential approach during the summer transfer window, according to The Athletic.
The Red Devils are currently in a difficult situation due to Financial Fair Play. They are not expected to make any signings before the closure of the winter transfer window.
However, the club are likely to be active in the summer. Anthony Martial looks set to leave on a free transfer and United plan to pursue a new centre-forward.
The Athletic claim that manager Erik ten Hag obviously likes Ajax’s Brian Brobbey, but the club are keeping tabs on Toney’s return to the Premier League.
Toney’s experience is much-needed for the Red Devils
United were linked with a move for Harry Kane at the start of last summer, but a deal was always unlikely as Tottenham Hotspur were determined to sell him abroad.
The Red Devils went on to sign 20-year-old Rasmus Hojlund from Atalanta for £72 million. The Dane looks to be finding his feet with three goal contributions in his last two Premier League games.
Despite this, Hojlund is still relatively inexperienced at the top level. United need another proven Premier League striker who can lessen the scoring burden on the former Copenhagen graduate.
Toney could be the solution for the Red Devils. The Englishman has 21 league goals since the start of last season. He returned from an eight-month ban last weekend to score with a fine free-kick.
The former Newcastle United man will turn 28 in March, but in our opinion, he is currently in the best phase of his career and could be at his peak for the next five years.
He would be a perfect competitor to Hojlund at United. Brentford value him at £100m this winter, but the price could drop to £70-80m at the end of the current campaign.
United should be braced for a bidding battle for the marksman during next summer’s transfer window with London rivals Arsenal and Chelsea also firm admirers of him.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow