Manchester United are due to be very busy during this summer’s transfer window as Jose Mourinho is planning a big overhaul of the squad.
Michael Carrick is set to retire and Marouane Fellaini is expected to let his contract run down, with the boss already confirming he’ll be looking for direct replacements for these two.
The Guardian are now reporting that the boss will also be in the market for two new full-backs this summer; one on each side.
Captain Antonio Valencia has been our regular right-back this season but turns 33 before the start of next season and we don’t have much depth in this role. Though Timothy Fosu-Mensah will be back from his season-long loan at Crystal Palace but it depends on whether Jose feels he’s ready to be part of our first-team squad.
On the opposite flank Ashley Young has won the left-back role for this season. However, the England international is not an out-and-out defender and also turns 33 over the summer. Whilst Jose has a number of options in this role he has seemingly lost faith in Luke Shaw, Matteo Darmian, Daley Blind and Marcos Rojo.
We have long been linked with Tottenham Hotspur’s Danny Rose and the Guardian mentions that Jose is ‘hopeful’ of finally landing him this summer, though the reports linking him to us since the end of last summer’s transfer window have died down remarkably.
I have no doubt that the boss will make a move for a left-back this summer but it’s just a case of which one as we have been linked to a number of them over the past few months. It will be interesting to see if we reinforce on the right-hand side too because Valencia is very fit and athletic and hasn’t slowed down all season.
- Jadon Sancho reunion would be appealing for Borussia Dortmund but there are reservations
- Manchester United to assess fitness of three players ahead of their Premier League clash with Crystal Palace
- Daley Blind sends warning to Man Utd midfielder Donny van de Beek
- Man United plan contract talks for rising star Hannibal Mejbri
- Sofyan Amrabat only wanted Man Utd this summer, eyes permanent stay
- Roy Keane sends message to Jadon Sancho after Man Utd exile
- Manchester United’s under-21s suffer 8-1 thrashing against Bolton Wanderers
- Man Utd have fresh solution at left-back with Sofyan Amrabat
- Alejandro Garnacho reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s performance against Crystal Palace
- Casemiro delivers masterclass performance against Crystal Palace in Carabao Cup