Manchester United are interested in Antony, Lisandro Martinez and Nicolas Tagliafico from Ajax this summer, according to The Daily Mail.
The Red Devils are yet to make a signing during the transfer window, but appear to have made significant progress over a deal for Barcelona’s Frenkie de Jong.
Meanwhile, the club are also awaiting the transfer decision of Christian Eriksen whose contract with Brentford expires on June 30. He could make a choice next week.
Aside from the duo, it is reported that United have an interest in pursuing the services of Antony, Martinez and Tagliafico, who are all contracted to Ajax.
Since the appointment of Erik ten Hag as manager, United have been linked with several Ajax stars. The Dutchman was their head coach for the past four-and-a-half seasons.
Antony, Martinez and Tagliafico were regulars under him, but we don’t see United signing all of them. Tagliafico had a tremendous 2018/19 season at Ajax, but has not quite replicated it.
The Argentine’s goal contributions have reduced over the past few years, and there were occasions where he was left on the bench in the recent campaign under Ten Hag.
After being denied a mid-season move to Barcelona, the 29-year-old looks set to leave Ajax this summer with his contract expiring in 12 months. He may still prefer a move to Camp Nou.
United have now been credited with an interest, but could be better off looking elsewhere for a left-back. Hoffenheim’s David Raum would be a stellar signing after his superb progress.
The German registered three goals and 13 assists in Bundesliga last term, operating from the left-back and left wing-back positions, and could be a solid upgrade for the Red Devils.
Meanwhile, Antony and Martinez would be quality acquisitions for United. Antony is a specialist right-winger, who bagged an impressive 12 goals and 10 assists for Ajax last season.
Martinez excelled from central defence to be named Ajax’s Player of the Year. The Argentina international is superb with his tackling, distribution and has a good aerial presence.
Ten Hag would ideally want to sign both players this summer, but it has been reported that he may have to choose between them. Ajax are reluctant to tear up their promising squad.
United will still need to pay a premium price for either player. Ajax are said to value Antony between €70-80 million while they are looking for €50-60m for Martinez, as per Tier 1 journalist Mike Verweij.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd very interested in signing Brighton prodigy Moises Caicedo
- Joel Glazer firmly against the sale of Cristiano Ronaldo
- Manchester United offered the chance to sign Antoine Griezmann
- Man Utd weigh up stunning deal for Casemiro
- Man Utd still considering move for Moussa Dembele
- talkSPORT and Fabrizio Romano claim Manchester United are closing in on £42m deal for Matheus Cunha
- Hakim Ziyech remains a priority for Man Utd boss Erik ten Hag
- Erik ten Hag makes direct request to Manchester United board to sign ‘scintillating’ Ajax attacker Antony
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- Man Utd to accelerate Wan-Bissaka’s exit to sign Sergino Dest