Manchester United are interested in signing Real Sociedad star Takefusa Kubo this summer, according to Mundo Deportivo – Gipuzkoa edition (page 3).
The Japan international is one of the best young wingers in La Liga and he has been impressive for Sociedad since his switch from Real Madrid in 2022.
Kubo registered an impressive nine goals and nine assists from 44 games last term. He has replicated his form this season with six goals and four assists from 25 outings.
His progress has caught the eye of the Red Devils and it is claimed that they are interested in signing him in the summer for his reported £51 million release clause.
However, the club have a task on their hands to convince the 22-year-old to part ways, considering he is determined to stay with the Basque outfit next season.
Kubo could be signed by United if Antony leaves
Antony joined the Red Devils from Ajax in a deal worth £85m in 2022, but he has yet to prove his credentials with only 13 goal contributions from 67 appearances.
In the same period, Kubo has managed twice the number of involvements (28) and the Red Devils could pursue his signature, suppose Antony heads for the exit door.
Kubo is not necessarily a strong passer of the ball, but has excelled with his work rate, dribbling and duel-winning ability. He has won 2.3 take-ons and five duels per game this season.
His statistics are far impressive compared to Antony’s tally of 0.9 dribbles and 3.7 duels won per outing.
Aside from those attributes, Kubo has also made 1.7 key passes per match, much more than Antony (0.9). In our view, he would be an upgrade on the Brazil international if signed.
Aside from operating on the right wing, Kubo also has the ability to play in a front two.
It is left to be seen whether United can persuade him to join them. A deal may also depend on Antony’s exit. The Red Devils are looking for at least £50m to sanction his sale.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini
- Manchester United youngster Ethan Williams set to sign new contract
- Manchester United: Sao Paulo make stance clear on Casemiro transfer
- Mason Greenwood harbours no great desire to play for Manchester United again
- Man Utd join Arsenal in race to sign Besiktas wonderkid Semih Kilicsoy
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Kambwala starts
- ‘He’s unstoppable’: Erik ten Hag defends Man Utd winger Antony