Manchester United are interested in signing Flamengo striker Gabriel Barbosa in a potential deal that could see Antony join the Brazilian side on loan, according to Mirror.
The Red Devils currently have Rasmus Hojlund and Anthony Martial as their main strikers, but the duo have yet to find the net in the Premier League this term.
Hojlund has impressed with three goals in the Champions League group stage, but the 20-year-old has been unlucky not to score for United in the top-flight.
The Dane will change his fortunes sooner rather than later, but Mirror claim that United want to bring in another striker in the form of Barbosa from Flamengo.
The 27-year-old netted 20 goals from 55 outings last season. He is currently valued at £20 million and could leave soon with his contract expiring in December 2024.
Flamengo are open to selling him to United in January in a part-exchange move that could see Antony join them on loan. United are ready to give green light to such a deal.
United are moving in wrong direction with Barbosa pursuit
Barbosa was considered as one of the best strikers in Brazilian football back in 2016 when he made the high-profile move to Serie A with Inter Milan from Santos.
However, he struggled to make any impact for the Nerazzurri. The same was the case during his loan stint with Benfica where he hardly got onto the pitch for them.
Since 2018, Barbosa has been plying his trade back in the Brazilian top-flight. His statistics are very impressive, but signing him would be a wrong step for United.
Instead, the club should look at an emerging striker in Santos’ Marcos Leonardo. The 20-year-old netted 21 goals last campaign and could be available for a similar price.
Meanwhile, the talk of Antony leaving on loan is weird in our opinion. He is Erik ten Hag’s main man on the right wing and the manager has not lost faith in the Brazilian.
The 23-year-old has not performed to the expectations since his big-money arrival from Ajax but any decision over his future may only be taken at the end of the season.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action
- Picture: Man Utd defender returns to training but Lindelof out & Rashford doubtful
- Rising from the ashes – Manchester United’s spectacular November revival
- ‘An incredible, good player’: Erik ten Hag on Marcus Rashford ahead of Bournemouth game
- Borussia Dortmund want €30 million or Jadon Sancho as Manchester United eye Donyell Malen, talks scheduled for today
- Erik ten Hag turns down Manchester United players’ request for more days off after complaints over workload and scheduling