Manchester United are determined to sign Ajax’s Antony and PSV Eindhoven’s Cody Gakpo in the final days of the transfer window, De Telegraaf’s Marcel van der Kraan reports.
The Red Devils have already spent over £120 million on four players in Tyrell Malacia, Christian Eriksen, Lisandro Martinez and Casemiro, but there could be plenty of more arrivals.
Bolstering the attack is one of the prime priorities for manager Erik ten Hag, and Van der Kraan reveals the club want to sign both Antony and Gakpo, not one or the other.
Gakpo is already aware of the Red Devils’ interest, but he is currently focused on the second leg of the Champions League play-off tie against Rangers in midweek.
Meanwhile, it is reported that the next 48 hours could determine whether United can make a breakthrough in negotiations with Ajax for Antony’s services.
United look set to spend big on Eredivisie’s top attacking talents
Ajax are currently firm on their £85m valuation for the player despite his transfer plea. The onus is on United to meet their demands or else the club are prepared to keep him.
The next few days could be critical to finding an agreement. With three years left on his deal, Ajax don’t feel any pressure to sell, and United may end up paying the required fee.
In case of Gakpo, United may face a similar situation with PSV particularly if they qualify for the Champions League. They are tied on 2-2 after the play-off first leg versus Rangers.
PSV are eyeing a package of around £38-42m plus add-ons for the player, and may stick to their valuation. The duo should provide much-needed creativity for United this term.
While Antony is a specialist right-sided winger, Gakpo operates pre-dominantly on the left flank.
Hence, they won’t be directly fighting for places in the starting XI. The pressure will rather be on Jadon Sancho and Marcus Rashford to perform at a higher level to stake claim for places.
It should only be regarded as a good thing as United need competition for positions. This will get the best out of players, who will be aware that inconsistency could lead to being dropped.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Omonia Nicosia 2-3 Manchester United: Three talking points as Marcus Rashford continues his stellar form
- Erik ten Hag reveals his plans for Anthony Martial after injury comeback
- Three Man Utd stars with a big point to prove against Omonia
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Omonia, Ronaldo and Martial start
- Manchester United’s Five Greatest European Performances
- Man Utd include Iqbal and Garnacho in 22-man squad for Omonia clash
- Four Man Utd stars miss training ahead of Omonia Nicosia clash
- Man Utd should sign Goncalo Ramos as Cristiano Ronaldo’s replacement in January
- Europa League Preview: Omonia Nicosia vs Manchester United
- Saudi PIF were offered 30% stake in Man Utd before Newcastle takeover – The Athletic