Manchester United have identified Borussia Monchengladbach goalkeeper Yann Sommer as a replacement for David de Gea next summer, according to Bild.
However, this has not ended the speculation. Bild report that Sommer is likely to make the move to the Premier League when his Monchengladbach deal expires in June.
It is added that the Swiss star is attracted to the Red Devils, who are prepared to make him their new number one. De Gea’s expiring contract is unlikely to be extended.
Sommer would suit Erik ten Hag’s playing style at Man Utd
De Gea had a difficult start to the campaign with a couple of goalkeeping errors, but he has since redeemed himself with plenty of stand-out performances.
The Spaniard has shown terrific reflexes between the sticks for the club, but there are still doubts whether his £375,000-a-week contract will be extended beyond June.
The club have the option of triggering a 12-month option on his contract while there are suggestions that the 32-year-old would accept a 50 per cent pay-cut for a renewal.
However, we won’t be surprised if De Gea is shown the exit door. Sommer would be a good upgrade on the Spaniard as he has excelled with his ball-playing abilities.
He has averaged 45 accurate passes per league game this term with 7 long balls. In comparison, De Gea has completed just 18 passes per league outing with 5 long balls.
The Swiss has also made more saves (4.7) per game than De Gea (2.7). The most important thing could be his wages which are currently at just £36,000 per week.
United have also been linked with Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa, who has a £64 million release clause, but Sommer would be a good acquisition on a free transfer.
It would also save valuable funds for the club to spend big on other key positions. A marquee striker and a central midfielder could be among top priorities next summer.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com, SofaScore.com and Capology.com
- ‘He did magnificent’: Erik ten Hag praises Rasmus Hojlund’s impact in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag must start Aaron Wan-Bissaka to stop Man United’s old nemesis Wilfried Zaha
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Galatasaray, Hojlund returns
- ‘If they are good enough, they are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Manchester United’s route to finishing in the top four
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause